PDA

View Full Version : That was a stop sign, dingleberry!

Jeff Wills
11-07-2008, 07:08 PM
You: older-middle-aged gentleman on gray bike wearing bright green jacket, riding east on Salmon where it crosses SE 20th.
Me: driver of silver minivan with Washington "Share the Road" license plates, northbound on 20th. I was heading home after visiting Sherman at Coventry Bikes.
Time: about 4:20PM- still daylight, nice & clear.

You blew the stop sign, across the line of opposing (stopped) traffic, and I came within 20 feet of mowing you down. It's a good thing I keep my speed down and my eyes up. I don't know if you looked both ways, but you sure had a head of steam when you got to the intersection.

Dang it, I'm getting scared.

Jeff

toddistic
11-08-2008, 04:22 PM
this belongs on the forums of carportland.org.

thx

Todd

jr98664
11-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Here's a link for your convenience:

CarPortland.org Forum (http://carportland.org/forum/)

lynnef
11-09-2008, 11:08 AM
why exactly does it not belong here?

If Jeff had been on his recumbent, would you have said the same thing?

Dumb-ass, clueless bicycle operation is dumb-ass, clueless bicycle operation, no matter which mode of transportation one is operating when one sees it.

Haven_kd7yct
11-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Agree, Lynne.

The idiot here was the bike rider. Why does this not belong here? Do only actions where the bike is in the right get to be posted here?

Lame, guys. Really lame.

Jeff Wills
11-09-2008, 03:53 PM
why exactly does it not belong here?

If Jeff had been on his recumbent, would you have said the same thing?

Or my fixie, or my single speed, or MTB... if I'd actually *hit* the dingleberry while on one of my bikes, the consequences wouldn't have been as bad. Thankfully to only result was a tightened sphincter on my part- and I hope on his, too.

("Mutually Tightened Sphincters"... what a name for a band!) :eek:

Jeff

wsbob
11-09-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm agreed with those that feel the complaint of the OP posted on bikeportland forums about the offending person on a bike, is valid. As I understand it, the informally implied function of the bikeportland forum thread Close Calls is to report and make known, 'close calls' involving people riding bikes on the road. There's no rule for this thread that I know of stating that a condition of posting here is that the offender has to be the driver of a motor vehicle.

It's just as important for everyone to know about a close call if the offender is a person on a bike as it is if the offender is a person in a car.

P.S. . I never actually realized there was such a thing as carportland. Thanks guys! I'll check it out.

Jeff Wills
11-10-2008, 08:46 PM
P.S. . I never actually realized there was such a thing as carportland. Thanks guys! I'll check it out.

Click JR's link- surprise! :D

Jeff

wsbob
11-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Click JR's link- surprise! :D

Jeff

Ya got me! :rolleyes: yuk-yuk!...:)

I'm almost surprised a real carportland doesn't exist. carportland...a cozy place to share tales of the abuse sustained by besieged car drivers in todays bike crowded world.... . Maybe good ol' Phil or the now retired (from the O) David will take up that project.