PDA

View Full Version : Middle School student struck in Vancouver.

jr98664
10-29-2008, 10:49 PM
While I did not see it first-hand, I found out today that while on his way to school this morning, a middle school cyclists was struck by a car. From what I've been able to gather, the cyclists was in the crosswalk crossing SE McGillivray Boulevard at SE 136th Ave (http://tinyurl.com/5sl7ze), on his way to Wy'east Middle School, just a few blocks to the north.

While in the crosswalk, a car was traveling too fast to come to a stop in time at the stop sign and struck him with his left mirror. Thankfully, the driver stopped and called 911 for help. To the best of my understanding, the cyclists was okay, possibly just sore and well bruised.

When a student mentioned that someone had been hit on McGillivray, I quickly went to check the parked bikes for the bike of a good friend who normally commutes that way. Thankfully, his bike was safely there.

It is probably worth noting that while McGillivray is posted at 25 miles and hour, most cars tend to be doing at least 30, if not closer to 35, or even 40. I can even admit to having gone over 25 mph on my bicycle. ;)

I all seriousness, however, I'm just glad that nobody was seriously injured and the the driver was willing to stay and help.

scdurs
10-30-2008, 02:51 PM
Glad to hear he will be ok. A friend was commuting to work on his bike via McGillivray and saw him on the ground with the motorists tending to him. We were wondering what had happened.

Steve