PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for good rain tires - road (700x23-25)

psyqlst
10-25-2008, 06:29 PM
I need some help finding good clincher road tires (700x23-25) that handle well in the rain (front & rear) and that are reasonably flat resistant...I know I'm asking a lot. The tire are for my training bike and not a commute bike.

Thanks!
MM

RedRiderPDX
10-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Hmmm, softer compound for cold/wet conditions but puncture resistant....

Conti Gatorskins perhaps?

nuovorecord
10-28-2008, 04:59 PM
I <heart> Vittoria Open Pave EVO CG's. Best wet tire I've ever used. As flat-resistant as my old Gatorskins. Rides like a dream. 700x24 is the only size they come in if you want clinchers.

http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/2007/01/vittoria-pave-evo-cg.html

fredlf
10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
My winter/rain training tire is the Conti Gran-Prix 4000 4-season. They have very good grip and in 2500 miles so far on my last pair I've gotten just one flat. Still, they are supple enough to have good road feel and they don't weigh a ton.

Also, I use a 25c tire in winter (instead of 23c in summer) to let me run slightly lower pressure and give me a bigger contact patch with the road. Just be sure your road rig has clearance for the larger tire! There is literally just 2-3mm of clearance on my front fork for a 25c.

Oldguyonabike
10-30-2008, 07:55 AM
I ride on $25 Continentals all winter and haven't had a flat in two years. NOW I've jinxed it!! But what I really attribute full tires to is checking both tires every Saturday with a light and tweezers to pick out glass and road crap that will work its way into any tire you choose. Also keep tires inflated >100 psi.

fredlf
10-30-2008, 02:07 PM
+1 on picking the crap out of your tires regularly. It makes a big difference. I use the time-honored "pointed spoke" as a pick. (Grind the threaded end of a spoke on a grinding wheel until it's pointed). The pointy spoke has a 101 uses!

Don't know if I can second that tire pressure recommendation, though. The right pressure depends on the tire, rim, rider weight, riding style and conditions. I use a bigger (wider) roadbike tire in winter because it lets me run lower pressure, which provides more contact with the road. Lower pressure in a narrow tire increases the chance of pinch flats. I'm about 180 lbs. In winter, I run 90 psi in my Conti 25c clinchers on Mavic Open Pro 32 spoke wheels. In summer I run 100 psi in 23c Conti clinchers on a Mavic Cosmos wheelset. In all conditions I usually run out bravery before I run out of traction.
YMMV.

bikieboy
11-01-2008, 09:31 AM
i'll join the laudatory Continental chorus -- had some Top Tourings (no longer made) on my commuter, about 2500 miles on the rear, with just one flat at the very end of the tyre's life; front is still going strong. Have had the Conti Gatorskins on my fun bike for about 500 miles, with no punctures thus far. I'm so sold.

All hail the mighty Conti!