PDA

View Full Version : Slicks for Mountain Bike

bramasole_iowa
10-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Any suggestions for a good shop to buy tires already on wheels?
Every site I look at just shows the tires, tubes and wheels separate but doesn't mention if they'll put it together for me.

There's a bicycle commuter challenge brewing in my Arabic class and I want in. :-)

Mountain Bike: 2005 Gary Fisher Wahoo.

Jeff Wills
10-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Every site I look at just shows the tires, tubes and wheels separate but doesn't mention if they'll put it together for me.

There's a bicycle commuter challenge brewing in my Arabic class and I want in. :-)

Mountain Bike: 2005 Gary Fisher Wahoo.

Any shop should be able to mount the tires you want on the wheels you want. If you were buying both (and tubes and rim strips and it were my shop), I'd do it for free. If they can't take 5 minutes to put the tires on the wheels, they don't deserve to be in business.

Jeff

blackpeugot
10-19-2008, 03:58 PM
If you already have wheels (the metal bits) you can just buy new tires a smooth version of an off road mountain bike tire. Tires will run you $18-$25 each and there are many brands. Any of the bike shops in the area will help you.

Simple Nature
10-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Stop by REI on a good sale day and you might pick all three up at a discount. They'll put the kit together for you.

bramasole_iowa
10-20-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm reconsidering the financials of buying slicks for my 2.5 months of bicycle commuting. My knobbies aren't the biggest and the route is only 9 miles one-way. Pretty sure the extra power I have to put out would be more beneficial than having slicks.

Psyfalcon
10-20-2008, 08:33 PM
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000121&subcategory=60001249&brand=&sku=23898&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%2026x1%2E0%20to%202 6x1%2E75

Find a 20% off coupon. Put them on your existing wheels, although you might need new tubes. A full slick setup for about $40.

Or... http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000121&subcategory=60001249&brand=&sku=25161&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%2026x1%2E0%20to%202 6x1%2E75
$30, no coupon.

LESTER
10-21-2008, 09:33 AM
buy Local!

If you gotta mail order...

Tom slicks for $20 (http://www.biketiresdirect.com/pritms/ritchey_tom_slick_tire/pp.htm)

LESTER
10-21-2008, 09:37 AM

I'd recommend purchasing tires, a patch kit, a pump and tire levers. Then Watch this video a couple or more times. (http://bicycletutor.com/fix-flat-tire/) Then change your own tires. You'll be far better prepared for commuting that way.

Enjoy your rides!

jgadamski
10-21-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm reconsidering the financials of buying slicks for my 2.5 months of bicycle commuting. My knobbies aren't the biggest and the route is only 9 miles one-way. Pretty sure the extra power I have to put out would be more beneficial than having slicks.

My conversion from knobbies on my first commuter to street tread ( not 'slicks' per se) netted me about a 2mph speed improvement. That is huge. Increasing my tire pressure from 35 to 70 PSI was good for another .5 mph.

Point being, getting rid of the knobbies will make you go faster ,easier. And boost your air pressure up too.

the tires will cost you money,but the air is cheap.

Tait
10-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Just to put another angle on it...

If you do go mountain biking, riding your knobby tires on the street for any significant amount of time will cause little tears at the base of the knobby bits as they get bent to and fro against the unyielding pavement. That makes the tires almost worthless for traction when you run off and want to do real mountain biking on trails and such. (If you've ever taken your road slicks mountain biking, you know what I mean. If you haven't, don't -- it's not fun.)

That just to say, if you do use your mountain bike for mountain biking, it's probably worth it to get the slicks. I was amazed how much difference it made to my riding and then you won't sacrifice your off-road performance.