PDA

View Full Version : Improv fender ideas?

K'Tesh
10-13-2008, 09:53 AM
I have a friend who uses old plastic soda bottles for fenders, lightweight and cheap... I myself, added a reflector to the underside of my front fender to prevent back spray from reaching places that I'd rather keep dry.

I was thinking that if I couldn't afford my freddy fenders, perhaps an old mtb slick could have been cut to shape and used as an inprov fender...

Any of you got ideas on what could be used?

Stay Dry!
K'Tesh

lynnef
10-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Kent Peterson (http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/index.html)is a fan of the re-purposed coroplast sign

wsbob
10-13-2008, 09:30 PM
lynnef, great idea mentioning Kent Peterson's website. I'd never heard of the guy, that I can remember. He seems to be quite a writer and an innovator. The 'Three Dumb Guys in the Rain pt II' was entertaining for sure. A quick search brings up threads detailing different ways he's used coroplast. The panniers he made were kind of amazing; a little like japanese origami. Not sure I personally care too much for leaving the print on the outside, but doing so definitely conveys the re-use ethic better than turning it inside.

If I had some coroplast signs kicking around, I'd almost be tempted to try make some fenders for my other bike that hasn't been used since I came across the orphan. My other bike could be the better rain bike since its geometry is more relaxed than the orphan's.

lynnef
10-14-2008, 08:42 AM
I have found coroplast signs to be free for the taking. I find them in ditches (usually advertising an apartment complex), AND there will be lots of them available after the second Tuesday in November :)

K'Tesh
10-14-2008, 08:51 AM
I have found coroplast signs to be free for the taking. I find them in ditches (usually advertising an apartment complex), AND there will be lots of them available after the second Tuesday in November :)

Funny, I use coroplast signs to keep my porch dry, and my living room private. Also has the benefit of keeping the porch brighter when lit.

The gaps in the slats of the fencing around my porch allowed people to see into my apartment, and I didn't feel comfortable with that. I used a black plastic tarp to cover the ad, and the unprinted side faces the inside. I also attached some to a frame mounted to the underside of the deck above me and angled it so any rain, spilled soda or beer (clumsy upstairs neighbor) won't reach my porch.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
10-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Just found this in the archives (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=550)...

It was pretty much only a link to this site:
Fend For Yourself (http://www.mile43.com/peterson/FendForYourself.html)

Which has instructions on creating a pair of coroplast fenders.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Jeff Wills
10-14-2008, 09:14 PM

You betcha. November 5th is the beginning of Coroplast Harvesting Season!

Go down to the local party office and ask them if they need help cleaning up after the election. They'll fall all over themselves for a post-election volunteers.

Jeff

the Wumpus
10-20-2008, 09:10 AM
You betcha. November 5th is the beginning of Coroplast Harvesting Season!

Go down to the local party office and ask them if they need help cleaning up after the election. They'll fall all over themselves for a post-election volunteers.

Jeff

Sounds like a good excuse for a ride! Consider it in the preliminary planning stages for the weekend following the election. Mentioned it to a couple of friends over last weekend and it sounds like a total of maybe 4 people are interested so far. Time/Place tbd. Anyone here interested? Jeff? I've got a decent sized flatbed trailer, it's no problem sharing space on it if anyone's worried about hauling capacity.