PDA

View Full Version : Naked legs...

K'Tesh
10-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Just an observation:
Naked legs dry faster...

When I choose to ride in wet weather, I will often still wear shorts. My legs may get cold and wet, but when I get to work (or home) I find that my legs dry a lot faster than if I was wearing something that covers them.

I do however maintain a 2nd set of shoes at work (I don't use clipless pedals) and 2-3 pairs of socks. Now, I've gotta remember to bring a fresh towel.

Gotta love wool though... nothing like wool socks for cold feet.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Yes, I know where my towel is. ;)

jr98664
10-13-2008, 04:02 PM
I wear short year round and I find that they work just fine even in the rain. My legs get all grimy, but the water just shakes right off. It's also nice that the sweat just evaporates, and it's not like you're stuck in clammy rain pants.

For my shorts themselves, they are perfectly covered in my Rainlegs (http://clevercycles.com/?p=81) that I got at Clever Cycles.

djasonpenney
10-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Knees are very fragile things. They don't have a lot of insulation, and blood flow over them is not the best for warmth. Furthermore, they take quite a beating when one bicycles.

Because of all this, Arnie Baker, Ed Pavelka, and others recommend covering your knees whenever the air temperature is less than 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

YMMV of course.

PDXGS
10-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Knees are very fragile things.
Arnie Baker, Ed Pavelka, and others recommend covering your knees whenever the air temperature is less than 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

YMMV of course.

Yep...words to live by...

Psyfalcon
10-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Pavelka, in Cycling for Health and Fitness quotes Baker as saying there are no studies showing it is "necessary." It goes on to say that he does not do it automaically when the temperature drops below 60. In the same section, he mentions spinning at least 3 times.

So, maybe. Especially if your knees bother you, but I'll stick to quickly spinning cold knees until its about 40f. Then... its cold.

lovetobikedaily
10-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Yep...words to live by...

Knees are very fragile things. They don't have a lot of insulation, and blood flow over them is not the best for warmth. Furthermore, they take quite a beating when one bicycles.

I do agree that knees are so fragile, you have to take care of them.

Just an observation:
Naked legs dry faster...

Gotta love wool though... nothing like wool socks for cold feet.

Wool socks do Rock!

I think you're both right :cool:

PDXGS
10-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Cold temperatures affect the viscosity of the synovial fluid in your joints. The increased viscosity of this fluid affects the way it lubricates and cushions your joints...or doesn't.
Keep your knees covered at temps below 65 deg F.
Observing this simple rule and ensuring that you're using the correct pedal float, gearing and seat height will give you pain-free knees.