PDA

View Full Version : Bike Computers... Great Motivation to Ride!

K'Tesh
10-08-2008, 09:59 AM
I was thinking about my riding over the last 9 3/4's years here in the Metro area, and I think that I can truely say that perhaps my greatest motivator to ride more was adding my bike computer.

When I purchaced Dammit Mk VII, I picked up a computer for it, and I've never regretted it. I found myself enjoying knowing how far and how fast I went. I reset the mileage each year, and I now log my miles in DayMinder's so I can keep track of my progress and also what kind of performance I'm getting from the bike... (like how often I break spokes on rear wheels (Henry (The Eighth Dammit) broke it's 6th last night... :mad: ) The new wheel should be finished sometime this week), replace chains/tires etc.

Just my $0.02

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

djasonpenney
10-08-2008, 12:10 PM
I used to slavishly obsess over my elevation, saddle time, elapsed time, distance, and average speeds.

Now the cycle computer sits on the handlebars and I hardly ever pay attention to much more than the speed and time of day. Sometimes on really long rides I'll put it on cadence to try to reduce my tendency to mash.

I agree it can stir up your regular routine though. If you haven't tried it, pick up a cheap one. Remember to pull it off the bike along with your lights when you lock it up.

Psyfalcon
10-08-2008, 12:18 PM
I do like data, but can't afford one of the nice elevation/grade measuring computers.

I've got speed (good for speed runs), distance (reminding myself I am making progress- do not use on Broadway or Vista) and Odometer (how many people out side of Portland believe "you" rode 1000 or more miles a year?).

Average speed is a bit depressing on Broadway though... I've seen my average as low as 5 :o