PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite toe clips? I've been having problems

markallyn
10-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Folks:

I have been having an epidemic of toe clips either falling apart or falling off the pedals lately.

One was a brand new pair of toe clips that came off the pedals because the bolt that hold them on are too small.

Another was that the bolts could not be tightened properly due to their head not accessable to hold on while the nuts were tightened.

Has anyone else notice poor design of toe clips?

What brands to you use and have you been happy with them?

Or am I going to have to break out the welding equipment and thrift store stainless tableware and make my own toe clips?

Mark

rainperimeter
10-04-2008, 12:50 AM
MKS pedals and clips. i have MKS pedals (various) on all my bikes and XL toe clips. I think they rule.

PDXGS
10-04-2008, 06:11 AM
See if you can get a pair of Campagnolo stee clips. The Somas that Rivendell sell are pretty good as well.
http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/pedals_and_so_on
Cheers,
Jorge

fredlf
10-06-2008, 10:13 AM
When I ran toe clips I always used those bolts that have the nylon insert in them so that they lock down and can't rattle off. The only problem I had with toe clips was breaking them off-road when they snagged branches or what-have-you.

pdx3340
10-07-2008, 01:45 AM
For the past year I've been using Power Grips. They're not "technically" toe-clips, but they're straps that go accross the pedals at an angle and tighten with dynamic tension. They do the same thing as toe clips, but in my opinion, better.

vincentpaul
10-07-2008, 07:47 PM
For the past year I've been using Power Grips. They're not "technically" toe-clips, but they're straps that go accross the pedals at an angle and tighten with dynamic tension. They do the same thing as toe clips, but in my opinion, better.

Purchased some Power Grips today. Got a new pair of light hikers that my bmx platforms couldn't tame, and I decided I liked the light hikers more than the ideological purity of pedals sans retention devices. Spent 10 miles in 'em on the commute home over Bull Mountain tonight. Loved 'em! Thanks for the recommendation, Pdx.