PDA

View Full Version : Squealing brakes

flying_dutchman
09-29-2008, 07:17 AM
I have Avid cantalever brakes on my touring/commuter bike. I have toed them out, toed them in and run them flat. I have replaced the pads with different brand pads and made sure that all fastners are tight, STILL, the front brakes shreak like a train whistle.

I want my bike to run silent as a breeze, and this issue is damaging to my bikey zen tranquility.

Any advice?

whiney
09-29-2008, 08:54 AM
I've had some success with a brake booster (I currently have one on my bike). e.g:
http://www.bikepro.com/products/brakes/brake_boost.html

They prevent the brake mounts from flexing under load.

If you want to invest more money in the problem: Try a carbon fork or disc brakes.

fredlf
09-29-2008, 02:38 PM
sometimes it helps to lightly sand the rims with fine-grit sandpaper, just to take off the outer layer of oxidation. Good luck!

Jeff Wills
09-29-2008, 06:42 PM
I have Avid cantalever brakes on my touring/commuter bike. I have toed them out, toed them in and run them flat. I have replaced the pads with different brand pads and made sure that all fastners are tight, STILL, the front brakes shreak like a train whistle.

I want my bike to run silent as a breeze, and this issue is damaging to my bikey zen tranquility.

Any advice?

What pads? Which rims? I've had very bad luck with Kool-Stop salmon color pads on Velocity Aero rims. They were incurably noisy. The noise went away when I switched to Kool-Stop black pads.

Also: try cleaning the rims with rubbing alcohol. This takes off any residual oil that may have splashed there. If that doesn't work, try painting the rims with a little Bon Ami cleanser, riding a couple blocks while lightly holding the brakes on, then washing off the Bon Ami. This really cleans the rims' braking surface.

Jeff

flying_dutchman
09-30-2008, 06:53 AM
What pads? Which rims? I've had very bad luck with Kool-Stop salmon color pads on Velocity Aero rims. They were incurably noisy. The noise went away when I switched to Kool-Stop black pads.

Also: try cleaning the rims with rubbing alcohol. This takes off any residual oil that may have splashed there. If that doesn't work, try painting the rims with a little Bon Ami cleanser, riding a couple blocks while lightly holding the brakes on, then washing off the Bon Ami. This really cleans the rims' braking surface.

Jeff

That is exactly the equipment I am using! The bike is new, and I swiched from the Avid stock pads to the Kool Stop. I will try the black pads & Comet. (I don't have the Bon Ami)

Thanks

ctb
09-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Toe-in the pads, and rub down the rim with a light solvent or rubbing alcohol to remove any greasy film. I've also heard taking some light sandpaper to your brake pad can help a little.

PDXGS
09-30-2008, 10:40 AM
I've had trouble with Avids as well. Emory cloth on the rims, sand paper on the pads and toe-in on the pads and nothing helps. The booster plate is an old tried and true fix but so is moving up to a better brakes like Paul cantilevers.
Not cheap, but certainly up in quality.

Jeff Wills
09-30-2008, 08:47 PM
That is exactly the equipment I am using! The bike is new, and I swiched from the Avid stock pads to the Kool Stop. I will try the black pads & Comet. (I don't have the Bon Ami)

Thanks

There's some kind of weird interaction between the texture of the "Aero" rims and the salmon pads. I had two bikes with unstoppable squealing that went away after changing to black pads. Two very different bikes: a Fort 'cross bike and a Tour Easy recumbent.

Try the black pads first. Comet is more abrasive than Bon Ami- I'd save it for later. After the rims wear in (and the weather is wetter), try the salmon pads again.

Jeff