PDA

View Full Version : Flaggers on 78th St. in Clark County

LESTER
09-26-2008, 07:41 PM
I had a doozie this morning (about 9:00 am 26 Sept 2008 ), rolling back from Orchards to my work on 78th and St. Johns. Here's a map of the area. (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.678736,-122.607207&spn=0.005315,0.013947&t=h&z=17)

There was road construction going on, and as I cruised westbound on 78th there was only one lane open. I waited behind 4 cars/trucks until the flagger switched from Stop to Slow, then rolled by the flagger and said hi! She had a walkie talkie, but failed to alert her colleague on the other end that I was rolling thru.

So once the flagger on the west end of the construction zone flipped her sign, I freeked out! She sent a buncha vehicles right at me!

I asked her whose idea it was to send those vehicles right at me and she said "I didn't see you."

Pffft.. Flaggers need some education and communication!

t27
09-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Most agencies make it easy to contact the project manager and road project have web sites and a contacts. Send them an E-mail about what happened and the contractor will usualy get a massage to fix the problem.

I noticed Temporary traffic control devices blocking the shoulder on Schools Ferry Rd. and let the Washington County PM know. I got an E-mail back the next day saying they had advised the contractor to move the baracade.

I once had a flagger wave me to the front of the line and direct me into the lane, then she held the traffic behind me to provide a reasonable gap for my safety. Her thoughtfullness didn't go unpunished. Some jerk took offence and deliberately ran me off the road at the end of the construction zone. Last week some jerk tried to murder a flagger because he made more money than her and she was slowing him down.

kenl666
09-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Just thought that I'd mention the flaggers involved in the Portland SE 60th project have been VERY nice to bikers. More than once, as I was coming up to 60th, the flagger would stop the cross traffic and let me pass.

Wasn't always the same flagger either, so it seems like it was a company-wide attitude.