PDA

View Full Version : Local wheelbuilding classes?

vincentpaul
09-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Are there any classes offered in the Pdx area on wheelbuilding? I've found an offering in Seattle, but none in Pdx. Anybody know of any?

fredlf
09-22-2008, 04:28 PM
If you don't have one already, get a copy of Jobst Brandt's book The Bicycle Wheel. He gives excellent instructions that will get you well on the way. I've built about 20-30 wheels, but I still refer to it sometimes. It's encyclopedic.

One thing you can do while you're learning is to lace and pre-tension the wheels yourself and then pay a shop to do the final tensioning and truing. Or, better still, rent shop space and get help and advice (for a charge, understandably) from the wrenches working at the shop. There are at least two shops in town that rent space, maybe more.

Jeff Wills
09-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Are there any classes offered in the Pdx area on wheelbuilding? I've found an offering in Seattle, but none in Pdx. Anybody know of any?

I've taught wheelbuilding to a couple of the members of the OHPV (http://www.ohpv.org/index.htm) . Shoot me an email- maybe I'll invite you over when I'm building my next wheel.

(This is one thing I learned as a bike mechanic: wheelbuilding is addictive. I think of it as knitting.)

Jeff

vincentpaul
09-23-2008, 09:43 AM
If you don't have one already, get a copy of Jobst Brandt's book The Bicycle Wheel.

Ordered it through Amazon.

[P]ay a shop to do the final tensioning and truing. Or, better still, rent shop space and get help and advice [.].

Great idea. This seems like a great way to go about it.

And thanks for your generous offer, Jeff W.