PDA

View Full Version : Pannier Help

spatialized
09-16-2008, 04:01 AM
So I've been using a Banjo Brothers waterproof pannier for the last year and its starting to wear. Badly. I've been out shopping and have seen nearly everything under the sun it feels like. I did the Banjo Bros. to try out if I really can use panniers and it has helped my back quite a bit, but they truly reflected their price. Not that they are bad, or shoddily made, but they did not take to my abuse. Hence, I'm out looking for new bags.

I don't transport a great deal of stuff, lunch, scrubs, maybe an extra pair of shoes, necessary tools and pump, sometimes a book or reading material and my wallets, keys, phone etc. During winter, that load ramps up a hair as I start carrying rain gear.

Looking for suggestions. Needs to be waterproof. Needs to stand up to abuse. Easy to carry off the bike as well. Price is a factor, but I'm no longer cheap as I know this is the methods transporting my stuff that works best for me.

Once again I'm reaching out to the community for help. Thanks in advance!

Tom

K'Tesh
09-16-2008, 07:23 AM
What about Bike Buckets?

Cheap, extremely durable, as waterproof as the lid is (depending on care used for installing the attachments).

Infinite possibilities for personal expression. :cool:

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

flying_dutchman
09-16-2008, 08:09 AM
I know nothing about their panniers, but I have had an Ortleib messenger bag for about 10 years. This thing is indestructable. I commute with it at least 3 days a week, use it on road trips (car) and give it no special care or attention.
About a year ago one of the plastic clips broke. The replacement was in stock and cost about $2.

brewcaster
09-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Ortlieb FTW. They are a little pricey, but water will never breach, and they can take a beating. I also like the over shoulder strap.

Haven_kd7yct
09-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Ortlieb seems to be the top-of-the-line product for panniers... but I went a bit cheaper and got the Transit waterproof panniers. I haven't had a problem with them, they've held up to lots of commutes with a wide variety of stuff stuffed into them. Still waterproof after a year, still holding up great.

But if price was no object, I would have purchased Ortlieb... :)

(Transit panniers can be purchased from Performance Bike.)

vincentpaul
09-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Bike bucket panniers. It's easy to make your own, although you can order commercially made ones if you insist. To make your own: Get your hands on a square plastic pail. Common sources are bulk cat litter and laundry detergent containers. Purchase 2 suitable hooks with which to hang the buckets from the rack. Rope cleats work fine, but I prefer boat fender hooks mounted upside down (Perko Model 1246 pictured is $4.99/pair at Joes):

http://www.boatingsolutions.com/images/1246dpchr.jpg

Mount the hooks an appropriate distance apart on the buckets, then drill a hole of sufficient size to draw one-half of a bungee cord through. Draw half a bungee cord through and knot the inside end when the cord is at the right size to stretch down and tighten the bucket to the rack. If you want, you can get quite fancy by placing the buckets inside old backpacks or drawstring bags of an appropriate size. Here's a picture of homemade panniers on tour at the coast last week. They're really just bucket panniers with nylon backpack shells that I scavenged from our Goodwill pile. The front panniers were made w/ the same fender hooks, but using small plastic trash pails from a department store.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/Paul.E.Vincent/SM_Q357NAxI/AAAAAAAAAN8/LliOdhRGZE0/s640/coast_4.JPG

I had to purchase some size 6 bolts, nuts and some washers to distribute the weight, so my total coast was a little over $6 per pannier, which was 20% over my budget of $5. For what its worth, there were several folks with Ortleib luggage that I met on tour last week who thought my kit was more practical and durable than their nylon panniers. When the nylon wears out on mine, you just toss it and get yourself something else as a shell or just go without it.

brewcaster
09-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Brilliant idea! I know I shouldn't care, but I hate the look of the bucket plain. These bags will make them look better, and easier to carry. I may have to try this.....

K'Tesh
09-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Brilliant idea! I know I shouldn't care, but I hate the look of the bucket plain. These bags will make them look better, and easier to carry. I may have to try this.....

Just remember to add some retro-reflective materials, or lights, to the exposed sides.

I'm a big fan of those yellow reflective triangles that you can get from Pedigreen, REI, Joe's, or the Bike Gallery... They're designed for joggers, but that doesn't stop me.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/88/214728289_b89d4f88f0.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikeportland/214728289)
Photo by J. Maus

I often find myself modding them to add additional reflective materials in the center section.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

lynnef
09-16-2008, 10:10 AM
The Jandd Commuter Pannier (http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FCP)works for me. It has for the last 15 years. The waterproofiness has since gone away, but that is why there are plastic bags. Lifetime warranty. I haul all you do plus a laptop a couple times a week.

bonny790
09-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Big fan of Ortlieb rear rollers. At $160-ish, they are a great value IMO (value, I said). When you consider that they come in pairs, they aren't even that pricey. I've been using them seven days a week for more than a year and a half as a student, meaning I never leave them on the bike. I'm always pulling them off and on, setting on all kinds of surfaces, just generally abusing them and the bottoms have held up extremely well. Very waterproof, but if you'll be slinging it over your shoulder much, you'll want to replace the wimpy shoulder strap that comes with it. I had a padded one laying around from an old duffel bag. Great for groceries as well.

spatialized
09-16-2008, 12:20 PM
With the extra mass of the buckets do they throw you off a bit when it comes to balance? I don't have enough stuff to haul to need a second to even out the weight side-to-side so was curious about that.

Also, how do they fare when using MAX? Right now I can leave mine on and hang the bike. With buckets is there an extra layer of issues?

Tom

K'Tesh
09-16-2008, 12:23 PM
I've ridden with over 40 lbs of groceries hanging off my left handle bar... I've had some problems navigating, but it's doable... I can't see that a single pannier would be a problem mounted to your rack.

Just my $0.02
K'Tesh

lynnef
09-16-2008, 02:45 PM
What can happen when you commute for a year and a half with a pannier on one side:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3179/2858593652_e78b0259d3.jpg

Since replaced with a somewhat sturdier bracket...

vincentpaul
09-16-2008, 03:06 PM
With the extra mass of the buckets do they throw you off a bit when it comes to balance? I don't have enough stuff to haul to need a second to even out the weight side-to-side so was curious about that.

Also, how do they fare when using MAX? Right now I can leave mine on and hang the bike. With buckets is there an extra layer of issues?

Tom

You're sense of balance quickly adjusts. I can ride hands-off with most loads (i.e., lunch, clothes and a book or two).

On Max I'd take the bucket/pannier off. It only takes a second or two.

vincentpaul
09-16-2008, 03:08 PM
What can happen when you commute for a year and a half with a pannier on one side:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3179/2858593652_e78b0259d3.jpg

Since replaced with a somewhat sturdier bracket...

Me like fenders. You get from Velo-Orange?

brettoo
09-16-2008, 04:33 PM
I recently picked up a Basil waterproof pannier from Clever Cycles, but of course haven't had a chance to rain test it yet. I had a Jannd that served me well for a decade but it wasn't the covered or waterproof kind, nor does it fit my new bike. Nice thing about the Basil is that it's easy to just take off and carry with you to a meeting or whatever. It expands to hold lots of groceries but flattens to be more like a messenger bag when you carry just papers or a laptop in it. It also comes with a key that lets you lock it to the bike, though I wouldn't leave it out for long, or with anything valuable in it because a knife can always slice the thing off your bike. It feels like the same kind of material in a canoe wetbag so should keep the water away.

lynnef
09-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Me like fenders. You get from Velo-Orange?

I got them from Jitensha. I don't think VO was carrying the 650B ones at the time.

OldCog
09-26-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm commuting to work a few times a week and really don't want to do the back-pack thing. On my new Giant FCR2 XL frame I've tried several mid - moderate - and commuter panniers. But was consistently getting heel strikes. Even if I mounted the panniers such that they were a rearward as possible. Still heel strikes.

I'm using the stock pedals with clips that seem to feel pretty good. Someone at City Bike said I may need to buy a special rear rack that in effect takes things back a couple of inches. Hmmmm $$$

In the end I rummaged around our stuff and found some old Bushwacker panniers my wife had bought - they're of modest size but everything seems to fit. Not the best but will do for now. Anyone else have this issue

Signed - Big Foot