PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Jackson (I-205) MULTI-USE path

Moongypsy
09-08-2008, 04:35 PM
I know this is a cyclist site, and I am one, but I'm also a pedestrian. Sunday morning my wife and I were crossing the Glenn Jackson bridge. We were "buzzed" by a couple of cyclists during our trip on the 205 path. Their intention was to pass as close as possible to us even though there was no one coming in the other lane. Nearly all of the cyclists we encountered were courteous, but when we are standing against the wall to let people go past, and they get as close as they could anyway I get mad!

People on bikes would pitch a fit if a car came that close, so how is it acceptable for a bike to do this to pedestrians? I have been preaching to my wife for years about how responsible cyclist behave, so I'm assuming that these wanna be racers were not responsible cyclists. When will they learn to share the path?

I also want to give a hearty "Thank You" to the young lady that admonished her riding companion for not passing single file when meeting another trail user. We appreciate a responsible cyclist, because right is right!

Grant
09-08-2008, 07:39 PM
so how is it acceptable for a bike to do this to pedestrians?

It's not...

Simple Nature
09-08-2008, 08:18 PM
That is why some people carry walking sticks... hell on spokes!

K'Tesh
09-08-2008, 09:33 PM
As depressing as this sounds, it just proves that asses use all forms of transport too.

Admonish when you can, and advocate for education wherever/whenever possible.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Bjorn
09-09-2008, 12:38 PM
One problem here is that the 205 path is extremely narrow. The light posts come into the path and whenever I am riding and a cyclist comes the other way I find it to be very unnerving. The path also puts you in the middle of 8 lanes of freeway traffic. The path is loud and so it is difficult to hear if someone is coming up behind you. There is also a lot of debris flying around coming off of cars which can get in your eyes making it difficult to see. The glenn jackson bridge shows us how not to build a bike/ped path. Honestly sometimes I think I'd prefer to just ride the shoulder on the edge. The pedestrians may have felt the bikers came too close, but if they were not pinned up against the wall there is no way to give more than a couple feet and people will naturally be adverse to riding right next to the big metal guards that are at face level.

It sure would be nice if they built a bike/ped bridge that was wide enough to be safe and not so close to all the traffic. I've heard suggestions of under the bridge which would still be very loud and also as part of a max extension if vancouver ever realizes that mass transit is not the devil.

Bjorn

djasonpenney
09-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Why don't they put the light posts on the other side of the Jersey barriers, so that they can threaten the lives of people in steel cages who happily pay terrorists for the privilege to kill us and each other, instead of where they currently are, where they endanger pedestrians and cyclists?

K'Tesh
09-09-2008, 01:53 PM
One thing I just thought of woud be to add convex mirrors to the lightposts, in both directions, so peds could check to see if bikes were approaching (then hug the barrier only when needed) without having to turn around every 10 feet.

I did approach ODOT with a request that on the Oregon side we put a mirror out at that sharp bend at the end of the bridge. That way, we could see around that corner as we're flying down off that miserable excuse for a MUP. My request was denied, apparently not enough people have reported problems for ODOT to address it (HINT... HINT...).

Be Careful Out There!
K'Tesh

Bjorn
09-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Interesting, just yesterday as I rode sb with my friend ian we were discussing about how there used to be a mirror there and that we wondered where it went... I don't know why it disappeared, but I am surprised that odot didn't want to replace it when it was taken even though apparently someone has commented directly about its absence.

The lights are pretty stuck in place I think it would be hard to move them over, although I do wonder if the jersey barriers could all be moved over along with the lights reducing the size of the shoulder and increasing the width of the path.

Someone also suggested at some point installing sound deadening walls on both sides of the path that would be higher. This would destroy the lovely view, but might actually make riding the path more enjoyable.

Bjorn

djasonpenney
09-09-2008, 02:47 PM
LOL man you are twisted. Oh, you mean there's a river out there? I'm afraid the noise, the smell, and the sensory overload from hundreds of vehicles racing by in both directions kind of ruins it for me.

The best part about the I-205 bridge is that it is there. Otherwise it would be the I-5 bridge (yucck), Rainier (a bit far north), or Cascade Locks (a bit far east).:D

This would destroy the lovely view<snip>

fredlf
09-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I ride that thing at least once a week when I commute to work. It's sort of like riding through the circle of hell that features cars (I'm sure Dante would have had one if infernal combustion had been around then). I agree that the only good thing about it is that it exists. I've noticed a lot of cyclists get quite nervous when we pass each other, especially when I'm going downhill (SB) and thus going pretty fast. I give all the room I can, but clearly, it's too narrow for many to feel safe.

What makes me nervous is the number of hub-caps I see lying on it. There's only one way those things can get there. I'm worried I'll end up like an Al Queda video someday.

I also enjoy the consistent headwind when going uphill in the morning. Lovely.

Arem
09-16-2008, 07:42 AM
LOL man you are twisted. Oh, you mean there's a river out there? I'm afraid the noise, the smell, and the sensory overload from hundreds of vehicles racing by in both directions kind of ruins it for me.

Agreed. Trying to block all that junk would be a bit much, even for a Zen master.

Bjorn
09-16-2008, 01:10 PM
You'd be surprised actually by how often I see someone out there with a tripod, sometimes standing up on one of the lightposts taking photos of the river and mt hood. Personally I'm all for turning the path into a tunnel to get rid of the noise/sound, but there may be those who would miss the view...

Bjorn

Jeff Wills
10-05-2008, 08:51 PM
FWIW: Today, several VBC members and I gave the path at the north end of the bridge the once-over. It's tough to sweep up the fir needles when they're wet, but we did get the edges of the pavement exposed. The edges disappear when the moss and grass creeps into the asphalt. We got most of the needles raked off the path, too.

We'll be back in a couple weeks after the leaves fall out of the trees.

If there are any serious concerns about theWashington end of the path, email me. I have a contact at WSDOT that has been helpful.

Jeff

djasonpenney
10-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Jeff, this is not part of my usual route, but I'm well aware of the risks of the area you swept. With a steep downhill overhung with trees and a hard left turn at the bottom, that could be an accident waiting to happen. On behalf of everyone who commutes that route, thank you!

On a related note, this weekend's storm means that the ground is now covered with moisture and wet leaves. Be safe, everyone: brake before turning, give yourself more lag time to slow down, and remain vigilant about road surface conditions.

FWIW: Today, several VBC members and I gave the path at the north end of the bridge the once-over.