PDA

View Full Version : How to return a found Credit Card...

K'Tesh
08-27-2008, 12:20 AM
I found a Bank of America debit card yesterday. I tried to call BofA to tell them that the card was found, and that I was hoping that they would notify the owner. It turns out that BofA doesn't have an after hours person to handle debit cards, only credit cards, and they had no way of recording the info for their customer...

I went to the local branch (after hours), and tried to get the ATM to eat the card (it took a few tries).

I tried entering in all zero's so the pin wouldn't match and the card, but the machine spit out the card.

I tried no pin, it spit it out again.

I put it in again... then touched nothing, it spit it out yet again.

So, how did I get the damn thing to keep the card???

Put card in ATM, touch nothing, and wait until it spits it out, after a minute or so, it will take the card for protection...

I hope that Anthony _____ ______ appreciates that his card was returned, next time, I hope he takes better care of it.

Rubberside down!
K'Tesh

bonny790
08-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Why not put it in the drop box/slot? It never would have occurred to me that the ATM would ever keep it. That is cool that it took it in the end though.

Haven_kd7yct
08-27-2008, 08:43 AM
The ATM will keep it if there's not enough money in the account... :)

I think you have to try a bad PIN three times before it keeps it.

Otherwise, drop it in the drop box or take it into the branch during banking hours.

Failing all that, they might have a mail slot on the door to shove it through....

Speaking of drop boxes, did anyone catch the news report about the two thieves who dressed up like security guards and stood by the after-hours drop box of two Tigard banks and convinced people that the drop box was broken and that, if people would give their deposits to the thieves, they'd take care of them at a different bank?

Can anyone guess what book the thieves stole that idea from, literally whole cloth and word-for-word? :)

Grant
08-27-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm wondering if Anthony is going to get a call saying. "Hello this is Bank of America, we have your debit card here and would like you to pick it up. Based on the video footage it appears the person who took your card attempted to access your account several times before giving up and leaving the card in our ATM. The video surveillance of the miscreant has been sent to the police, they should be picking him up soon for attempted theft. "

Let Jonathan know and we can start a collection to bail you out. ;)

K'Tesh
08-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Next time, I'll wear a disguise... I'll try cross dressing ;)

(And I never tried to make a withdrawl...)

toddistic
08-27-2008, 07:37 PM
more than likely the card will be destroyed.

boneshaker
08-27-2008, 08:24 PM
I've found debit cards before. It's how I got my big-screen TV. ;)

(the bank asked me to cut it up when I called the # on the back).

Haven_kd7yct
09-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Saw a follow-up story on the Tigard drop-box thieves (they were caught in Cali), and realized I never posted the answer to my book question.

The answer is:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. The protaganist and Mr Wednesday, another main character, pull off the heist, word for word exactly like the thieves did in real life.

Except this book was written a few years ago.

Well, I can't fault the thieves taste in books, at least! :)

Grant
09-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Saw a follow-up story on the Tigard drop-box thieves (they were caught in Cali), and realized I never posted the answer to my book question.

Dang, I missed the question or I would have won the grand prize. I really enjoyed that book.

keithwwalker
09-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Even though it is counterintuitive, destroy the card. A reissue is low cost and you prevent any subsequent fraud.