PDA

View Full Version : Two tonight... one right after another...

K'Tesh
08-26-2008, 10:49 PM
I was heading for dinner tonight at 8:15pm (no NOVA... no reason to put it off). I came to the intersection of SW107th? (just east of Target) and used the light to make my left turn onto SW Canyon (EB). I had three taillights on, as well as the helmet and handlebar mounted MiNewts.

There is no bikelane on SW Canyon, so I took the lane. There's two lanes in each direction, but to yield the lane would encourage someone to pass too close for my comfort, the sidewalk there is one curb cut after another, and I was going too fast to legally be on it. Traffic was light, but two seperate ASSHATS decided that honking and crowding me as they passed was acceptable behavior. :mad:

I think I got the plates for the 2nd one.. 104 DMT on an Oregon tree plate, but I'm not 100% on that.

DAMN I WANT A BIKE LANE THERE!!!! But NO! ODOT won't put one in... too little room for a lane. :mad:

One thing I noticed on the return trip (WB) was a "Bikes On Roadway" sign... I was just as far into the lane (the center of the right lane) and had no problems.

What's it going to take for motorists to realize that we are all legal users of the road?

I'd recommend this area for a sting opperation. I'm sure you could nail one Westbound driver after another here.

Arem
08-27-2008, 08:28 AM
With my year of experience under my belt riding around in the Beaverton area, I find that I will spend a minimum amount of time on TV - Canyon and the BH-Hwy as possible as those are the two areas one will regularly encounter troublesome and ignorant people in their cages. In other words, the ones yelling to get on the sidewalk, insults, mockery and general asshattery plus intimidation which I equate to attempted assault as I regard all four-wheeled motor vehicles as potential weapons. I find it much more pleasant to take side roads where more often you'll find courteous drivers and go through park paths thus negating any possibility of these interactions occurring in the first place. From my own perspective, I see no reason to place myself in foreseeable danger on the main arterials when it is mostly avoidable. Plus, I wouldn't want to be going down one of those highways when I know a Trimet bus could be moments behind me and they don't like to move over! Just because you know you CAN do something, does not necissarily mean that you should. There is always going to be other possibilities and choices to select from.
Simply my own opinion, take from it what you wish.
Take care,
Arem
My ride: 2008 Giant TranSend LX with Arkel trunk bag

K'Tesh
08-27-2008, 09:55 AM
I can already hear the "DEAD RIGHT" replies in my ears...

If I opt not to ride on places like SW Canyon, then I am relinquishing my right to the road.

I know that the world is not a perfect place, I know that life is not fair. However, that need not mean that I have to take the easy path and give up my freedom because cars are faster than me. I can take a stand (and pray that I don't get hurt) and bring awareness to those around me.

BTW: The other routes that are available to me are less direct, slower, and have their own hazards.

Peace,
K'Tesh

biciclero
08-27-2008, 11:21 AM
I used to live on 107th (that IS the street the runs just east of Target, past the mushroom-shaped Golden Crown restaurant). I would regularly go for recreational rides by turning East on B-H hwy and heading downtown. I never had anybody honk or yell at me, but that doesn't mean it didn't feel tight at times. If you are headed West from that intersection (107th and B-H), there aren't any really good alternatives. You can either take Canyon (just as bad) or cut through the Target parking lot and wind around 109th/110th and come out just a few blocks down by Home Depot (kind of pointless), or go straight across B-H through the office complex to 5th, which takes you farther away from destinations like Beaverton Town Center so you have to backtrack through Griffith Park or some other way to get back to central Beaverton.

Regardless, some people are just jerks.

Arem
08-27-2008, 01:42 PM
I can already hear the "DEAD RIGHT" replies in my ears...

If I opt not to ride on places like SW Canyon, then I am relinquishing my right to the road.

I know that the world is not a perfect place, I know that life is not fair. However, that need not mean that I have to take the easy path and give up my freedom because cars are faster than me. I can take a stand (and pray that I don't get hurt) and bring awareness to those around me.

BTW: The other routes that are available to me are less direct, slower, and have their own hazards.

Peace,
K'Tesh

I have a counter-argument for you.
On the contrary, you are not relinquishing your right to use that road, that right shall always exist whether it is exercised or not. On the other hand, by taking a different route, you are exercising your right to have a ride with cleaner air, less potential danger due to physics and human factor, and most especially your right to live and exist peacefully all the while exercising your right to pursue happiness in the form of simply enjoying your trip on your own bicycle. The "easy" path is not always "easy" as you pointed out that some of those routes have their own hazards, however they are "safer" by removing the large volume heavy vehicles moving at great speed. My own decision to take a separate route from main arterial paths is not based upon fear, but based upon reason and the feeling of content reached when I can hear local wildlife and the wind through trees rather than having to address the stress associated with playing "fender-dodger" on the highway. :cool: