PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/ideas needed

p8ntballbiker
08-19-2008, 12:35 PM
I run the maintenance department of a large apartment complex and daily i have to "tag" bikes for "parking violations" like being locked to stairwells,common areas etc. We do provide a designated area for bikes to park but alas none uses it because I feel it is too close to the main road. So today while writing up another "dont park your bike here" paper to put on another bike, I had a revelation! take one of our many garages and secure it from the corridoor and put in some bike racks bolted to the floor of course, say 20-25 should fit with good enough space for each bike and charge a small sum of $5 per month for the service. I suggest that because the higher ups wont want to lose the $ from renting that garage to a resident with a car. All this will work and I believe will be successful, the bikes will be secure, covered and only accessible to those who pay the rent for the space, and everyone will be responsible for locking up their own bike within the area. What I need is opinions or ideas how to keep the area accessible to only to those who are paying for the service. I thought of using a keypad system to open the garage only, but then if someone moves or decide to no longer use the service, we will have to change the code and give everyone a new code. so that has a potential of being changed way too often.we need to keep the liability off of us (the property) if someone decides to move and keep the code then come back one night and clean it out. If I'm not being clear on what I need please ask. Lets hear some ideas! Thanks!

Bent Bloke
08-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Since the current bike rack isn't inside a locked facility, maybe you shouldn't worry about someone who has the code to the garage. People are still going to lock their bikes to the racks in there. I don't see how that would be any less secure than what you currently have, with the exception that someone with the code could work away behind closed doors in the middle of the night. And that could be someone who is still living there -- there is no difference in risk between a current tenant and one who has moved.

Grant
08-19-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm guessing this would be too expensive...but a badge access type of system, where when someone moves away you can simply disable that badge's ability to open the door would work.

Other then that perhaps keys with a high security deposit.

djasonpenney
08-19-2008, 02:08 PM
First of all, I am sympathetic with your concerns about "illegal" parking. People can end up blocking access in the event of fire or for people with disabilities. Dang, ya just can't please everyone...

There are obviously issues with repurposing a garage for this purpose, though I strongly commend your stance. Have you considered the possibility of usurping some sidewalk or asphalt and installing some bike lockers?

Again, you'd have to charge a modest rental fee to avoid gratuitous "camping" and use by those who don't really need the bike parking and are just too cheap or lazy to move their bike into their apartment. By charging this fee, I also suspect you could probably start with a much smaller number of lockers.

p8ntballbiker
08-19-2008, 02:52 PM
we have a key card system in place for the gym and whatnot the only problem with that is, the garage may be too far away from the brain of the system to be able to use it. If someone who is currently "renting" a space in the facility decides to be a criminal behind closed doors, at least we will have a list of who has access to it, so we have somewhere to start. as far as the sidewalk idea, I will have to look into the bike locker idea, although I think the garage may be the best bet in our situation. sort of an out of sight, asthetic issue.

brettoo
08-19-2008, 03:59 PM
First, congrats to you for thinking of this! I wish all apt. managers were as enlightened.
My building has a bike room with racks for about 30 bikes -- not enough, as the room's usually packed at night. The room is locked and you have to have a key to the building's common areas to get in. I know people have moved in and out but that key has never been changed in the 2 plus years I've been here, and although we did have something stolen from a common room nearby, no one has yet swiped a bike AFAIK, even though a few people don't always lock them to the racks.
good luck!

p8ntballbiker
08-19-2008, 05:07 PM
great thanks for the info! I think I have it figured out, I have a garage really close to the office, so I can easily have a cardlock for the keycard system installed. This way we can program and de-program any card at any time. Luckily my regional is a bike enthusiast, so now we have to wait for the ok!

Grant
08-19-2008, 08:12 PM
So what do I win...free bike parking for a year? :D

K'Tesh
08-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Was up waaay too late last night... and one of the cable access channels was doing a lot of stuff on Portland and it's nonmotorized access. The City of Portland just added last year (or the year that the film was done) 40 more bike racks in a secured bike parking area to one of its facilities.

One of the things that they did, was to mount the racks to the walls at staggered heights to allow for lots of bikes. Perhaps you could have some wall mounts, and maybe floor mounts, to maximize available space.

I wonder, will one garage be enough? Maybe two? :D

Rubberside Down! (except when parked)
K'Tesh

p8ntballbiker
08-20-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm doing all the measuring today to see haow many racks I can fit in said garage and using the wall may be feasible. we'll just have to see how many I can fit, and get the go ahead first

p8ntballbiker
08-20-2008, 07:25 AM
So what do I win...free bike parking for a year? :D
sure, you just need to move in first!!;)