PDA

View Full Version : Front panniers - how low to go?

vincentpaul
08-18-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm making some plastic-pail panniers for an upcoming week's jaunt to the coast. In mounting the front ones, I'm trying to decide how low to go. I'll be traveling on gravel fire roads in the Tillamook and Clatsop forests for a good portion of the trip. Obviously, there's a trade off between the lowest possible center of gravity (good) and touching down on a turn (VERY, VERY bad). With 26" wheels, how much clearance would you go for? I'm thinking 6". Too low?

K'Tesh
08-18-2008, 10:54 AM
I'd base it off of curb height... if you are riding alongside one, do you want to rub, or be able to overhang it slightly?

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

djasonpenney
08-18-2008, 01:38 PM
Put the pail up next to the fork. Lean the bike over as far as you think you might reasonably go in a high speed turn. Add a smidge for vibration. Do you have suspension forks? Add a smidge more. Can you engineer the mount to allow a bit of play in final height adjustment?

--jason "Georgia chicken farmer engineering" p.

vincentpaul
08-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Put the pail up next to the fork. Lean the bike over as far as you think you might reasonably go in a high speed turn. Add a smidge for vibration. Do you have suspension forks? Add a smidge more. Can you engineer the mount to allow a bit of play in final height adjustment?

--jason "Georgia chicken farmer engineering" p.

Hmmm, putting your and Ktesh's comments together it seems obvious. Lean the bike over at an "emergency swerve" level next to a curb and mark the mounting line.

By the way, if anyone is ever interested in making your own panniers, I found the perfect mounting hardware on my boat: boat fender hooks, Perko model 1246 to be exact. Stainless steel. $4.99 pair at Joe's, add a pair of bungees to use as tension hooks, and a can of flourescent spray paint for visibility. Total cost per pair of waterproof, almost indestructible panniers: $9.99.

Total phred.