PDA

View Full Version : Advice on selling bike/components

hillbillyhoedown
08-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Hey all, I have a frame and components I want to sell. How do I price them fairly so I get a decent resell and the buyer doesn't get ripped off. I'm tearing down my bike because there are components I obviously want to keep. The frame is in good condition, minor wear on paint from cable rubs, it's a Reynolds 853 road frame, and too small for me. I have an alright wheelset, and will most likely be selling the drive train.
Do I check ebay, or the manufacturers sites respectively? How do I figure depreciation on the parts? I know that names help sell, and I don't want to mention all that here. Just want to know how to basically figure fair pricing for resell. Thanks.

shnshni
08-12-2008, 10:10 AM
i generally try and sell my stuff for what I would think was fair to buy it for if it was a part/frame that was exactly what I wanted.

fredlf
08-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Ebay can be a pretty good way to get an idea of prices. Make sure you look at several auctions and include the shipping fees in the total price. The old "rule-of-thumb" I grew up with was that used stuff was 60% to 50% of the original retail. I don't know how true that is nowadays, though.

Good luck. A nice 853 frame should be easy to sell. Try to talk the buyer out of filing off the derailleur hanger when they convert it to fixed! ;)

vincentpaul
08-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Ebay can be a pretty good way to get an idea of prices. Make sure you look at several auctions and include the shipping fees in the total price.

As a buyer I also look at e-bay. My rule of thumb in a local cash transaction is that I won't pay more than about 60% of what something of comparable value goes for on e-bay, and I always aim for 40-50% of e-bay value. If the seller wanted to get an e-bay price they'd sell it on e-bay, and eat the transaction costs/risks. Once they see the transaction costs and/or risks, 50% of e-bay in cash doesnt look so bad.