PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a dumb question about my Cilo frame

destroying.angel
08-08-2008, 09:01 PM
I have a late-80s Cilo, which is a Swiss racing bike. I recently brought it up out of the basement, put new tires on it and started riding it again -- I had forgotten how fun cycling could be! I was actually going to sell it and get something newer, but after talking to a couple of knowledgable people who had nothing but respect for its awesomeness, I've decided to keep it.

So here's the dumb question: How do I figure out which frame I have? I've poked around a little online and found some posts about the various models. I know mine is steel and has Shimano 600 components. Is there an identifying mark somewhere that I can easily find?

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment on this.

Thorlak
08-09-2008, 02:19 PM
You could go to bikeforum.net and post your question there.. There are allot of knowledgeable people there. Granted late 80's isn't vintage, I bet there is someone in the vintage forum who could help.
Good luck,
Keith

fredlf
08-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Set up a saved search on ebay. You can often glean information from people's listings and photos.

lynnef
08-09-2008, 03:02 PM
see if there is a forum related to your frame manufacturer. I stumbled upon the Gitane forum, and, I swear, those guys know the make of the bolts used to hold the specific-year crankset rings...

destroying.angel
08-10-2008, 12:32 PM
I'll try all those things. There was no such thing as this here internet when I bought that bike, and I didn't know there was such a little Cilo cult going. Apparently it has a pedigree to be proud of . . .

lefty175
08-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Another possibility would be to see if there is an online resource linking your make/serial number to a specific model. Here (http://www.utexas.edu/parking/transportation/biking/find_serial.html) is a resource showing where to look on most bikes for a serial number.