PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for cycling glasses?

Bent Bloke
08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm considering getting some glasses with changeable lenses. It's getting close to the point where my morning commute will be in darkness, so something with clear lenses that could be swapped for dark for the daytime rides.

Any suggestions? Things to consider, things to avoid?

Thanks in advance!

djasonpenney
08-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Make sure you get polycarbonate lenses (they don't strew your face with microtome sharp shards if the lenses break).

I believe that all polycarbonate lenses are UV-opaque, but the manufacturer should warrant them as such.

Beyond that, it's largely a matter of personal preference. I use Oakley M-Frames. I chose them before Lance wore them to his first TdF victory, so I don't feel like a copycat.

A year or so later I picked up some Bolle frames at Performance with interchangeable lenses, on sale. My first day of Cycle Oregon that year my contact lens dried out and landed on my balaclava within an hour. I spent the rest of the week copiously and liberally applying rewetting drops, and I went back to my Oakleys immediately thereafter.

I'm convinced that it's a very personal matter of the shape of the lenses and how they interact with the bone structure of your face. You'll just have to experiment.

Simple Nature
08-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Something like safety glasses maybe?

lefty175
08-07-2008, 05:57 PM
I like both my Rudy Project "Ekynox SX" and Smith "Factor" glasses. Both have easily interchangeable lenses, are well designed, unobtrusive, have good wrap around, etc. Now, there are a few significant differences that I've noticed or features:

-You can buy a prescription insert that screws in with the nose bridge on the Rudy Project glasses.

-Smith glasses tend to come with extra lenses already. (including a clear lens, at least for their performance swappable line.)

-Smith lenses seem to be better at covering a wider range of lighting conditions. I find that with the dark lenses in I still can see pretty well in low light conditions. With the amber lenses I can still see pretty well in dark conditions. I think that this has a lot do with the fact that Smith performance frames come with polarized lenses.

-Kind of going along with the above statement. The dark Smith lenses allow you to see better into shaded areas (i.e. tunnels, tree shaded areas, etc.) from bright areas than the dark Rudy Project lenses.

-Rudy Project glasses (at least the ones I have vs. my Smith glasses) are more adjustable (nose piece & "arms").

Anyways, as I said before, both are easily swappable. Hope this helps.

OldCog
08-07-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm considering getting some glasses with changeable lenses. It's getting close to the point where my morning commute will be in darkness, so something with clear lenses that could be swapped for dark for the daytime rides.

Thanks in advance!

Check out the selection at some motorcycle shops

Bent Bloke
08-08-2008, 08:04 AM
I picked up a pair of Oakley Flak Jackets yesterday afternoon. Not switchable lenses, I went with Transitions lenses. They don't get quite as light as I'd like, but they are still light enough to use at night. And they stay put. My classic Ray-Ban Wayfarers were always sliding down my nose.

lovetobikedaily
08-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Next adventure has a great selection of Native eyewear...very nice glassed, with a great warranty. Currently I have nice pair of Optic Nerve. They came with four sets of lenses and a nice case.

But you are right in the mornings it's nice to have a clear set to wear. Or when the rain starts up again.:rolleyes:

Donald
08-09-2008, 04:13 PM
The are RX and have a clear RX lens set with a flip up set of interchangeables.

I always seem to get comments on them, especially from ski folk.

I like them. Seems like my sweat has really eaten away at the film on the set of dark lenses I have, but they've lasted me over three seasons. My yellow set is good as new.

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/styles/perception.htm

ratell
08-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I got a pair of procyon's from performance bike on sale for $25. They'll take a prescription insert and they come with clear, yellow, and dark lenses. I'm sure the lenses probably aren't as good as Oakley's or Rudy Project, but so far they work fine.

wheelaway
08-10-2008, 04:23 PM

Thanks in advance!

I'm a big fan of Smiths 'Toasters'. Sadly I've heard they are not longer making them but maybe you can locate on closeout??

Small, light frame with easy to change lenses.

beelnite
08-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Something like safety glasses maybe?

Ding! My eyewear of choice. I wear contacts so the yellow eye shield with UV protection is the way to go. Yellow lenses -typically used for Safety eye wear - actually enhance vision in low light while cutting the rays during the bright. They bring a sharpness and clarity to the vision that can't be matched by standard sunglasses.

And yes I look like a dork in my big wrap-around safety glasses... I even have a clear pair with bifocals, just cuz I can. They are definitely a riding fashion statement!

You gotta try them to fall in love.