PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Theft Deterents

Moongypsy
08-04-2008, 07:58 PM
With the cost of everything skyrocketing I have made a decision to reduce when and where I can. A co-worker gave me his old bike trailer, so that I can transport heavier groceries . I am nearly to the maiden voyage, but I don't want to overlook any aspect that will result in my bike or trailer being pilfered.

Outside of using a long cable and secure lock snaked through the bike, trailer, and building railing etc. what other actions can I take to avoid a long walk home? By the way I am currently walking the 2-4 miles to the store depending on which store I go to.

bonny790
08-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Other than a cable? A chain!

I would (and have) u-lock the bike to the rack/ rail and then use a separate lock for the trailer to bike.

tvhwy
08-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Moongypsy,

Best to use a cable lock only as an auxiliary lock. They're quite easy for even an unsophisticated bike thief to snip. So use a U-lock or a chain lock on the frame. That's the First Commandment of bike security.

Personally, I use a chain lock on the frame and front wheel, a U-lock on the back wheel, and a U-lock on the saddle. (Well, my two wheels have quick-release mechanisms, and my saddle is patently expensive.) I park my bike where there is plenty of pedestrian activity. I rarely park it unattended for more than a half hour or so. I've also applied a few aesthetic techniques to my bike to make it look less nice than it is.

So far so good after a 18 months of cycling around town just about every day.

djasonpenney
08-05-2008, 09:12 AM
There has been a separate thread on this. Most Burley trailers can be disassembled in moments without any tools :-(

Because of this I only use a cable lock to secure the trailer. Note that you still need to aggressively secure your bike; you just want to ensure that the aggravation factor is too high for someone to go after your stuff.

wyeast
08-05-2008, 10:16 AM
We u-lock the bike to the rack, then heavy cable/chain lock the trailer to the bike + rack together. Not the ideal way, but at most they're looking at having to take the trailer away on foot, which is way more obvious than just riding off with it and the bike together.

You could also take off the wheels and take them inside with you. Just in case some smartypants shows up with a bike + hitch waiting to steal a trailer. :D

Moongypsy
08-05-2008, 12:04 PM
I bought a 12 foot Master Python lock and cable, but I will swing by and get a couple of U-locks. I think if I remove my seat I should be getting close to deterring the average theif. I also checked and Fred Meyers has cameras out in the bike rack area on 164th. in Vancouver.

JeffW
08-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Moongypsy,

I may be complacent, but there seems to be far less theft threat in the area around the SE 164th Fred Meyer. I've used solely a cable lock in and around that area for the three months I've been riding.
My goal is usually to make my bike less attractive to steal than others around it. This is easy at work because there's quite a few carelessly locked (if at all!) bikes, but harder at places like Whole Foods, Pacific Park, or Trader Joe's (no rack). I consider it a risk management problem. I weight the threats: part of town; how long I'll be away; other bikes, how they're locked; % of people at establishment who drove, walked, pub trans; etc. Generally, if I'll be inside for a while, I'll usually run the cable lock through both wheels and frame. I might be asking for trouble, but I rarely lock the seat. If I have to choose just one wheel, I always lock the rear--it's more expensive.

K'Tesh
08-05-2008, 03:22 PM
For my Yakima Big Tow (Yakima's answer to the B.O.B.) I have a seperate (yet keyed alike) U-Lock, a 7' cable, and I gave it a distinctive color (retroreflective yellow).

But more often than not, I load the trailer in a shopping cart and take it with me.

Moongypsy
08-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the good points. I'm probably also thinking overkill, but I've had my bike since 1995(maybe earlier), and I won't be able to replace it, so better safe than sorry. Anything I can do to tell people "get away" will make me happy. The trailer is from a co-worker, but I've put a few bucks into fixing it, so I don't want to loose there either.

The Fred Meyers on 164th is pretty safe, but somtimes it takes awhile to get groceries(browse around). I'll also shop at the Winco on 137th, there I'm a little more leary. I don't know if they have a bike rack. I've never noticed. I didn't know Whole foods didn't have a rack either.

One more thing. Do I need a kickstand? I really don't want a pole vault stick attached to the frame of my mountain bike. Any thoughts?

wyeast
08-05-2008, 06:22 PM
I can tell you from experience that hauling a trailer w/o a kickstand can be a drag. (one won't fit on my bike - no room by the BB - I have to find a LBS that stocks a disc-compatible one for the rear stays) If I ever have to stop to fuss with something in the trailer, I either have to find someplace to lean the bike, or lay it down. And half the time I lean, it falls over anyway.

bonny790
08-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Here is a very good reason NOT to use a cable only...

http://www.katu.com/news/26264564.html

Really sad

Quentin
08-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Personally, I use a chain lock on the frame and front wheel, a U-lock on the back wheel, and a U-lock on the saddle.

A U-lock on the saddle? How does that work? Here's a tip I learned recently, maybe it was from somebody here, I can't remember: a thief with a hex wrench could steal your seat, handlebars, and brakes pretty quickly, so superglue a ball bearing in the hex nut hole of your seatpost clamp and other components so a hex wrench won't fit in. You'll need some acetone or fingernail polish remover to remove the ball bearing, but how often do you really need to remove your seatpost or handlebars?

jr98664
08-07-2008, 01:27 AM
For a quick stop, I'll just throw a U-lock through either wheel and the frame and lock it to the rack. When I know that I might be leaving my bike somewhere for longer, or in a place where theft is more likely, however, I'll loop on a cable lock as well.

For that set-up, I'll lock the rear wheel and frame to the rack with the U-lock. Then I'll loop the cable lock through my front wheel, frame, and handlebars (they have a loop in them). Using those two locks covers most everything save for the seat and pannier rack. For a slight theft-deterrent, I've looped a braided metal cable from my rack, through the frame, saddle post, finally locking it to the rails underneath the saddle.

Nothing can be theft proof, but at least they might choose to steal the parts off of somebody else's bike. I just hope it's not yours.

Cruizer
08-09-2008, 08:35 AM
This discussion reminds me of one of the perks of my Croozer travel trailer -- the handle changes from horizontal to 45 degrees in a snap and I can just push the trailer in front of me and use it as my shopping cart. Very convenient!

beelnite
08-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Here is a very good reason NOT to use a cable only...

http://www.katu.com/news/26264564.html

Really sad

That blows - and I bet they were using a cable to save weight on a cross-country ride. That's just wrong and amazing that no one saw two or more thieves riding off on 2-3 bikes with trailers!?!?

Weird. I've never seen or met a bike theif - or former bike thief- before so I have this nebulous image... who is it!?!?! Anyone ever hear of a bike theft ring getting outed?

I would like to meet my enemy one day and learn more about him/her. Any clues, tips, links to share?

K'Tesh
10-17-2008, 01:47 PM
I might give this a try...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/baxna1/R3s1nNX7K3I/AAAAAAAAAPo/fOM3-tt1p7k/s320/DSCN3632.JPG (http://picasaweb.google.com/baxna1/Remembering2007#5150769546549472114)

Things at work today are really slow...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

OldCog
10-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Paint your trailer bright pink and add a few plastic Flamingos for good measure --- you'll be fine

Philosophography
11-08-2008, 09:16 AM
For my Yakima Big Tow (Yakima's answer to the B.O.B.) I have a seperate (yet keyed alike) U-Lock, a 7' cable, and I gave it a distinctive color (retroreflective yellow).

But more often than not, I load the trailer in a shopping cart and take it with me.

How did you get your U-Locks keyed alike?

jr98664
11-08-2008, 05:29 PM
How did you get your U-Locks keyed alike?

Please tell us, K'Tesh. I would love to have multiple U-locks with only one key.

Philosophography
12-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Please tell us, K'Tesh. I would love to have multiple U-locks with only one key.

I just found out when I was purchasing some new Kryptonite locks that if you buy one, then you can special order additional locks with the same key--just don't loose the little metal tag on the key ring that has the key number. You need that number to order your additional locks. Apparently, this works across their different types of locks. I bought a U-lock and will be getting a chain lock on the same key.

K'Tesh
12-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Sorry about that...

I found an order form in my new lock's packaging that told how to do it... filled it out, and paid for it... one was mailed soon after...

Philosophography
01-08-2009, 04:16 AM
Well, it is really only the U-locks that they will key alike.

"If you have a New York lock Standard or LS versioned Ulock, depending on the key number we should be able to order you a new one. The Fahgettaboudit Ulock is not offered keyed alike." --Kryptonite Customer Service

steve knight
01-08-2009, 08:27 AM
I have these locking skewers on all my bikes with matching keys. so no hassles of locking the wheels. you can lock the seat posts and headsets and such too.
http://www.urbanbiketech.com/default.asp

Philosophography
01-10-2009, 06:49 AM
I have these locking skewers on all my bikes with matching keys. so no hassles of locking the wheels. you can lock the seat posts and headsets and such too.
http://www.urbanbiketech.com/default.asp

These look great. My problem is that I mounted some really nice OMM racks to my bike that cause me to have to use extra-long skewers to accommodate the brackets that mount on the axles. They are QR skewers that came with the racks. Are these just locking bolts on each end of a threaded skewer? If so, I might be able to get a longer one that would work with locking bolts. If not, does anyone know of locking skewers that would be longer?

steve knight
01-10-2009, 07:32 AM
they may make longer ones. I use the nut from one on my burley qr for the trailer.

letsroll
01-27-2009, 01:17 PM
car battery and some wire. You sit on the saddle and grab the handle bars, complete the circut. You keep your bike and get the bad man:D