PDA

View Full Version : Please share the road.... with pedestrians

uzi
07-29-2008, 10:39 AM
As I was driving home yesterday, I stopped at a crosswalk in my neighborhood to allow a family to cross. So did the car in the other lane that was heading towards me. Nice beautiful sunny day, great day to be out for a walk or on a bike. Anyways, the second she (pedestrian with a baby in her arms) steps off the curb, two cyclists passing the stopped car in the other lane (apparently with no intention of stopping) had to lock it up, and barely avoid running into her. Well, that's cool, at least they stopped, and a collision was avoided. As she is crossing the street in front of my car, she almost makes it to the other curb when ANOTHER cyclist flys by on my right and BARELY misses her as she jumps out of the way. Two close calls FROM CYCLISTS on one crossing with a baby in her arms! I have to say, it didn't look good. There really is no excuse for this. You have tons of visibility on a bike and increased situational awareness since you aren't stuck in a box (car)... at least that is one of the reasons I hear that makes it OK to not stop at stop signs. If bikes are so fun to ride why are you in such a big hurry?

jr98664
07-29-2008, 11:22 AM
I've never had the problem of being passed by cyclists in such a situation, but as I (almost) always make a point of stopping for (legally) crossing pedestrians, cars are the ones who always seem to blow by. When I stop for a pedestrian, I'll usually try and position my bike in a way that makes it most visible to cars behind me that I have stopped.

While on the topic of pedestrian crossings, I find it interesting the kinds used around the metro area. It seems that most of the marked and lighted crosswalks closer in have red stop lights (such as at 41st and Glisan). However, once you get out farther, or into other cities such as Vancouver, you see nothing more than flashing yellow lights. I think this sadly speaks numbers about what these parts of the communities think about pedestrians.

Many years ago at my old middle school in Vancouver, they installed a lighted crosswalk with only flashing yellow lights. Worst of all, when you pressed the button, it would tell you that vehicles may not stop. So much for the pedestrian right of way. And did I mention that they removed two conveniently placed crosswalks to install this one that wasn't so well placed?

t27
07-30-2008, 08:50 AM
I enjoy stopping for pedestrians. We often chat about how none of the cars will stop.

The other day I stopped for a couple of pedestrians and they apologized for making me stop at the bottom of a hill. I told them that if I didn't like the exercise I would drive.

If all you want to do is get there the fast with the least amount of energy expended, drive.

toddistic
07-30-2008, 03:21 PM
As I was driving home yesterday, I stopped at a crosswalk in my neighborhood to allow a family to cross. So did the car in the other lane that was heading towards me. Nice beautiful sunny day, great day to be out for a walk or on a bike. Anyways, the second she (pedestrian with a baby in her arms) steps off the curb, two cyclists passing the stopped car in the other lane (apparently with no intention of stopping) had to lock it up, and barely avoid running into her. Well, that's cool, at least they stopped, and a collision was avoided. As she is crossing the street in front of my car, she almost makes it to the other curb when ANOTHER cyclist flys by on my right and BARELY misses her as she jumps out of the way. Two close calls FROM CYCLISTS on one crossing with a baby in her arms! I have to say, it didn't look good. There really is no excuse for this. You have tons of visibility on a bike and increased situational awareness since you aren't stuck in a box (car)... at least that is one of the reasons I hear that makes it OK to not stop at stop signs. If bikes are so fun to ride why are you in such a big hurry?

hey! im going to go to carportland.org and complain about how i was walking and a car didnt stop for me too! mkay! you sound like a moron.

uzi
07-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Wow. Tough guy, huh?

beelnite
08-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Seriously we gotta treat all pedestrians with outrageous respect. We are to them what motor vehicles are to us. They shouldn't have to feel intimidated, fearful or forgotten -- ever.

AND yes "they" are "us" and when we are walking we can be unpredictable and seemingly crazy.

I say be vocal with other cyclists (but carefully so... be nice) about respecting peds particularly on the Hawthorn Bridge if you witness unseemly behavior.

And yes - it is nice to chat with people walking - I have mixed feelings over their shock and amazement that I've actually troubled to look out for and honor them. It shouldn't be so shocking.

As for being in a hurry - I usually am - just my style - but I look at stopping/starting as "interval training" and each coasting/drafting/slowing period as a rest break before I start jamming again -- the longer the rest, the more intense the next sprint or climb will be. NOW THAT's WHAT I CALL FUN!!!

uzi
08-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Seriously we gotta treat all pedestrians with outrageous respect. We are to them what motor vehicles are to us. They shouldn't have to feel intimidated, fearful or forgotten -- ever

That's all I'm saying. There is a good chance they drove here. What kind of impression do you want to leave on them? What will they remember as they drive away from the restaurant, or are driving home from work the next day on the same street as you?

A: What a bunch of dickhead cyclists in this town, can't believe that guy on a fixed gear came inches from hitting my wife and child last night, maybe I ought to show him what it feels like.

--OR--

B: It was nice to see cyclists stopping with the automobile traffic when I was trying to use a crosswalk, respect earns respect, yes sir, plenty of room to go around you.

Also, Todd, I want to add, if there was a carportland.org site where the members often talked about how they are oppressed on the local streets, and I saw this same action but the roles were reversed, I'd probably go there and post about it too.

And for the record, I ride more often than I drive.