PDA

View Full Version : Left Hook

scdurs
07-17-2008, 12:07 PM
I experienced my first 'left hook' today in Hazel Dell while riding to work. I made my move into the left turn lane on a two-lane street at a light-controlled intersection. There was a car approaching from behind me with no turn signal, but not close enough that I felt I should wait for it to pass me. While I'm riding in the turn lane the car sped up and passed me in the through-lane and made the left at the light in front of me. Fortunately they stayed out of the left-turn lane during the maneuver. I never felt they were close enough to hit me, but the surprise of the reckless driving woke me up for sure. The idiot couldn't even wait the 5-seconds it would take me to make the turn and be out of the way in the bike lane. By the way, they never did signal a turn. If they had I may have let them take the turn lane before I did.

I gave them a hand gesture telling them where they ranked in my book. I probably could have done without that I suppose. Don't need to be the subject of any headlines...

Steve

djasonpenney
07-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Perhaps somebody can correct me, but I always referred to the oncoming car turning in front of you as a left hook. "Left hook" and "right hook" are similar circumstances in that the motorist has failed to yield lawful right of way, typically because they don' see you.

What you describe here is completely despicable, since it's clear that the motorist saw you and did it anyway.

jr98664
07-18-2008, 09:58 PM
At least you were fortunate that they saw you and didn't hit you. It doesn't, however, excuse them for what still amounts to blatantly disregarding you. A few feet either way, and you could easily have been hit. Completely unacceptable.

biciclero
07-28-2008, 01:44 PM
I've always heard the oncoming left-turn-across-your-path move referred to as the "Left Cross". The "hook" maneuver (as it was explained to me) can only be carried out by someone traveling in your same direction who cuts across your path.

scdurs
07-29-2008, 03:57 PM
I've always heard the oncoming left-turn-across-your-path move referred to as the "Left Cross". The "hook" maneuver (as it was explained to me) can only be carried out by someone traveling in your same direction who cuts across your path.

He WAS traveling in the same direction as me, so that makes it a "left hook" by your definition. He made the same left turn as I did, except in a much wider radius on my right.