PDA

View Full Version : Woodstock near Reed College

SmudgeCycles
05-12-2006, 08:57 AM
A few times per week I ride from my home near 82nd and Powell to River View for hill repeats with my wife. Nearly every time, while riding past Reed College on Woodstock, someone drifts into the bike lane. Last Thursday (May 4th) a driver, who was continuously in the bike lane from 32nd to 28th, pushed me to jump the curb. I caught up with her at the stop on 28th, smacked her car and told her what she had done...not surprisingly, my actions just made her mad and she shouted at me and drove off.

I also seem to continuously have problems while going North on 28th between Tolman and Woodstock for the very same reason, drivers drift into and stay in the bike lane because they're taking the inside line around that right sweeper. People just don't seem to realize what they're doing. My reaction is always the same when someone endangers my life or that of my wife...I do my best to chase them down and make sure they know what they did was wrong.

peregrine
05-12-2006, 01:09 PM
As a Reed alumna and a cyclist I know exactly how you feel! :( Honestly, I don't know what the hell are people thinking when they drive like that especially when there are cyclists in the bike lane.

The only advice I can give you is to take up the whole lane at that particular section.

Be safe!

PS. BTW, which way do you go from 82nd and Powell to Sellwood? I'm about to move in that area and was wondering about the bike routes.

Matt P.
05-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Peregrine, 92nd has a bike lane down to the Springwater Trail. Later this year when they open 3 Bridges and finish the Johnson Creek Rd sewer work, this will be the easiest route to Sellwood for those south of Powell. (maybe not the most direct)

-Matt P.

peregrine
05-12-2006, 01:29 PM
OK, thanks Matt. Appreciate the info.

shafferlc
05-31-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm another Reed alumna and still live in the area. I always take up the whole lane on Woodstock going downhill for that very reason (and also because the bike lane is in terrible shape there . . . perhaps in part because cars drive on it?). I'm glad you caught up to the driver and said something. I bet once she cooled down she realized she was in the wrong.