PDA

View Full Version : Advice on locking Burley trailer?

tarheeltreehugger
06-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey all, we just got a Burley Encore and have taken it out on several trips recently (today it was the Organic Brewer's Festival). It's been interesting trying to figure out the best method to lock up 2 bikes and a Burley and I was wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions. We use U-locks for each bike and snake a cable from one of those down to the trailer, but there does not seem to be any great place to attach it to (we have been going through a wheel and a wheel guard). Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

ThTh

Schrauf
06-29-2008, 10:18 PM
No good method to lock up my Burley Nomad. I snake a cable through the frame to deter kids and amateurs, but anybody who knows the trailer will know that the frame can be pulled apart in about 10 seconds. The wheels also quick release in about five seconds. This is the only complaint I have about the trailer, really - what was Burley thinking? Even a steel loop on the front of the frame to hook a cable to would be better than nothing. I have to wonder if this is planned obsolescence - maybe in five years they will come out with a lockable model??? If so, they deserve to be left behind by the competition.

mizake
06-30-2008, 08:39 AM
I usually take off both wheels on the Nomad and use a large u-lock to go through the detached wheels and frame of the nomad, locking it to the frame of my bike.

I've used this method of locking the Nomad for two years with no problems.

djasonpenney
06-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Same deal as Schrauf. I have a cable that goes through the frame and a wheel, but anybody who was determined could pop the frame apart in a minute or two. The cable is pretty much a low-level deterrent.

No good method to lock up my Burley Nomad. I snake a cable through the frame to deter kids and amateurs, but anybody who knows the trailer will know that the frame can be pulled apart in about 10 seconds. The wheels also quick release in about five seconds. This is the only complaint I have about the trailer, really - what was Burley thinking? Even a steel loop on the front of the frame to hook a cable to would be better than nothing. I have to wonder if this is planned obsolescence - maybe in five years they will come out with a lockable model??? If so, they deserve to be left behind by the competition.

Spiffy
06-09-2010, 08:01 AM
resurrecting an old thread...

I lock my trailer to my bike and then just lock the bike...

I found a master lock with a long U shackle and use it in place of the pin that holds the hitch to the bike... it's a perfect fit...

replace the screws that hold the bendable spring with security screws...

I never worry about the wheels since I don't consider them a valuable target for thieves... but maybe I'm wrong... let me know if you've had trailer wheels stolen...

sure if they have the tools they could take the mounting arm off and take the main bulk of the trailer, but I don't want to be that paranoid... They could also steal the roof easily, but again, I'm not that paranoid...

I used to have one of the hard plastic trailers that clamped to your frame and the mechanism it used made it very easy to just put a lock on the dial that moved the clamp... but again, a thief could have stolen an unmountable trailer...