PDA

View Full Version : Small hole in OnGuard U-Lock?

Jade
06-27-2008, 01:36 PM
I just bought an OnGuard BullDog u-lock and when I went to unpackage it I noticed a very small hole in the back of the lock. OnGuard isn't exactly the favorite u-lock in town so it's difficult to check locks at other stores to compare.

Is this normal? Is it supposed to be there? Or has someone already drilled the lock somehow? I can't seem to find an image of the back of one of these online.

Thanx in advance for your thoughts.

wrinkles
06-27-2008, 02:04 PM
It's made with that little hole. Mine has one, anyway. FWIW, REI carries these.
wrinkles

djasonpenney
06-27-2008, 03:03 PM
I've seen this from time to time in other objects. For instance, the Bontrager Race Lite wheel has one of these right on the sidewall. I thought the rim was defective until I thought to check the other wheel and saw that it too had one at the same place.

My best guess is that sometimes engineers conclude that they can't keep an area dry and it's preferable to give moisture an avenue to escape rather than to let it collect almost indefinitely.

Jade
06-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Thank you both, that was the answer I was hoping for.

I didn't know till after I bought it that REI has them. I probably paid a little more than I could have. But on the other hand I supported my favorite back shop so. Eh :D