PDA

View Full Version : Guys Only!!! Helmets and shaving...

K'Tesh
06-25-2008, 11:56 PM
It is my observation that when it is getting time to wash the helmet again, if I've shaved that morning I'm going to have irritation when I get where I'm going (typically work).

Now, if I didn't get time to wash the helmet, I try to shave the night before I ride.

I LOVE My Brain! And even if my helmet is getting funky, I'll wear it rather than go without!

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Now, I'll go wash my helmets. ;)

lazlo
06-26-2008, 06:54 AM
Wash your helmet? I've never, ever washed a helmet. Now I feel kind of dirty.

mike_khad1
06-26-2008, 07:12 AM
In the summer when I sweat a lot, I throw my helmet in the top shelf of the dishwasher about once a month. I make sure there are not other dishes in there and also throw in a bicycle cap or two.

mizake
06-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I've never washed a helmet before. I do wash my cycling caps every once in a while.

I guess I am kind of stinky more often than not =)

djasonpenney
06-26-2008, 11:39 AM
It's a little intimidating the first time you do it, but it's not hard to completely remove the straps from the helmet. Then you can hand wash the straps and the pads. Take a lot of digital photos before you start to help you remember how the straps go on. Also, you can wash the pads one at a time to keep the issues down to a dull roar.

I'm not sure I'd want to expose the helmet or any of the adhesives to the heat of a dishwasher.

mizake
06-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Not cleaning my helmet has never bothered me in the past so I'll just keep it dirty. Just the way I like it.

nuovorecord
06-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Most helmet manufacturers tell you to wash them in tepid water with mild soap. I typically wash mine once a week - just stick the whole thing in the sink. No need to remove straps and pads, at least in my experience.

fredlf
06-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Solved that problem years ago and quit doing it. Not even my legs.

lazlo
06-26-2008, 01:28 PM
I shave my face, but not my legs. And I ain't gonna wash my stinkin' helmet.

mizake
06-26-2008, 02:05 PM
I only shave my legs when I'm feeling sassy.

K'Tesh
06-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Most helmet manufacturers tell you to wash them in tepid water with mild soap. I typically wash mine once a week - just stick the whole thing in the sink. No need to remove straps and pads, at least in my experience.

Like you, I soak the helment, but I add dish soap (or shampoo if I'm using the shower).

Before I ever use the pads, I first sew around the edge of them to prevent them from falling apart. Then to wash them, I'll put 'em in a special sock that I made by using a length of parachute cord to create a drawstring, and run them in the washing machine. I then will either use them wet, or run 'em thru the drier.

toddistic
06-26-2008, 02:31 PM
i personally enjoy the funk smell, i have flashbacks to my psuedo-crust punk days.

fredlf
06-26-2008, 02:54 PM
I like when the straps get stiff to stand up on their own (this is a guys only, thread, right?). It's a point of pride for me. Never really occurred to me to wash a helmet. Though I've been known to dunk it in creeks to cool off...

mizake
06-26-2008, 03:13 PM
my favorite cycling cap is stiff with salt. i keep forgetting to wash it. my ex called it the "puke hat". i loves my puke hat.

lovetobikedaily
06-26-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm bald so I alway wear a dew rag under my helmet. I do wash it one a week or so. My helmet gets washed by mother nature on the rainy days in Oregon.