PDA

View Full Version : Bike LOCK rack ideas?

mark
06-07-2008, 07:34 AM
At my workplace, Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon, additional bike racks were recently installed in one of our parking structures. I am very pleased that this overdue project is now complete. However, with the new racks came a new building security policy. Bike owners are now prohibited from leaving their locks, of all types, on the racks at night.

Given the inconvenience (i.e., weight) of carrying a lock to/from home and work, I got to thinking...maybe our building services folks could install a bike LOCK rack that the riders could use to store their lock at night?

I envision a 8' - 10' heavy-duty towel-bar-style rack fastened to one of the walls near the bike racks.

Does anyone have any other ideas/experience with this concept?

djasonpenney
06-07-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm not being facetious here. I use my bike for all kinds of errands, so I've just resigned myself that the Kryptonite U-Lock and cable are just necessary aspects of having a commuter bike.

The only time I remove the locks is when I'm doing a randonneur ride, since I know I'm traveling in a group so there will be someone watching my bike if I need to go into a store.

I also have to express some sympathy with the building owners. The huge slew of bike locks rusting on the bike rack is kind of tacky looking. Instead of lobbying for a bike LOCK rack, I'd start lobbying for them to retire a few of the terrorist-funding parking slots in favor of some bike LOCKERS.

lynnef
06-07-2008, 02:08 PM
We have lockers at work, which are first-come, first-serve. They aren't full (yet). There is a towel-rack installation on the end for locks. Not that I leave mine. However would I lock it up if I needed to run an errand on the way home?

lazlo
06-10-2008, 11:49 AM
I used to leave a lock attached to one of the racks at work, but more than once I stopped for groceries on the way home, only to realize I had no lock. Now I just carry a u-lock all the time, as was mentioned above, except when on longer weekend rides. When the lock comes off, the bike feels so light! If you're riding around the city, you should just have a lock with you and not worry about the weight.

PhatLipMagee
06-10-2008, 06:38 PM
The only time I don't have my lock is when I forget it at home. My bike usually weighs around 35lbs. My 1lb Kryptonite cable lock ain't gonna make much difference.

wyeast
06-10-2008, 10:25 PM
The way I see it, my own body weight probably fluctuates more than the weight of the u-lock on any given point during the day. ;)

mark
06-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks everyone. As a long-time commuter, I appreciate your advice (builds character, carry lock for errands, etc.). However, given the number of locks that are still left on our racks at night (that are not policed), I still think some kind of lock rack might be worthwhile in our parking structures.