PDA

View Full Version : Best sources for buying used bikes

tonyt
06-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Does anyone have a cool site that they've found for buying selling bikes?

Sure, I'm familiar with craigslist and eBay, but I'm just wondering if there was something else cool out there.

There's pinkbike.com, but that's really just for MTB stuff.

And I'm not fond of bikeforums.net. Not so easy to navigate.

And of course, I should mention that the reason I'm asking is that I'm searching for a cool old mixte for my girlfriend. Non-french, something in the univega/miyata realm. Bonus points for cool colors.

djasonpenney
06-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Check out Community Cycling Center. They do an excellent job of refurbishing bicycles, and all kinds of bikes wander through their storefront.

I bought my daughter a very interesting women's-specific mid-1980's steel UJB last summer there, and it's turned her into a real bike commuter.

You'll have to visit it on a regular basis, possibly even eyeing the bikes that are still being refurbished. But hey, it's a great place, it's an interesting part of town, and don't you enjoy window shopping at an LBS?

nuovorecord
06-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Sellwood Cycle Repair has a great, up-to-date online inventory of used bikes on their site.

www.sellwoodcycle.com

bikieboy
06-03-2008, 06:25 PM
tonyt, the CCC is great --- reasonable prices, as well as community asset you can feel good about supporting.

CityBikes on Se Ankeny / 7th is worth a look, too.

Avoid the ReCyclery on SE Madision/8th --- *seriously* overpriced, IMHO.

soyanarchisto
06-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Sellwood Cyclery is overpriced on their used stuff as well.

tonyt
06-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Does anyone know of any websites?

fawkinghell
06-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Oldtenspeedgallery.com. I'm not even kidding. Most of the bikes seem to be for sale. Go. Go now.