PDA

View Full Version : Container for large drawings

Augustine
05-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Hi All,
I'm looking for something to use to transport large drawings between the blueprint shop, my office, fedex, etc. on my bike. Obviously it also needs to be waterproof here in Portland. It can be something I wear or something that connects to a bike rack.

I was thinking of building something out of PVC pipe that bolts to the bike rack, but I'd like to also be able to remove it easily.

Does anyone have any ideas?

edki
05-29-2008, 04:32 PM
I use a large poster tube well covered in multiple layers of packing tape. One end is permanently sealed, for the other I have a plastic cap off a similar sized tinned steel can (can't remember what kind tho') that is secured with another piece of tape.
I attach it to my rack with bungee cords, horizontally, with the removable end tucked forward under the seat. On days when I am especially paranoid about the paper contents I will wrap the removable end with a plastic bag and rubber bands for additional protection.
I went this route given that the tube is significantly lighter than pvc.
good luck and let us know what you finally decide on....

Augustine
05-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks edki,

I like that approach a lot. I think I'll probably use your approach, except with PVC or some other plastic tubing material. Weight isn't a big issue, since the trips will be pretty short.

I can keep the tube and bungee cords at my office and attach them when necessary (not very often).

scoot
05-29-2008, 06:43 PM
but if it doesn't quite work out, most any art supply store will have plastic tubes that have shoulder straps on them, so you could carry a tube like you'd carry a messenger bag. Like these http://www.artmediaonline.com/artProducts/viewProductInfo.asp?productID=21248 at Art Media (which you could look at and copy for your DIY tube).

Simple Nature
05-29-2008, 06:49 PM
What scoot found... x2

edki
05-30-2008, 07:10 PM
gotta say there is a certain elegance to the ready-made tube that the homemade one lacks..the price is reasonable too.

Augustine
06-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I'll buy the tube that Scoot suggested, and strap it to the bike rack per edki.

I don't think I could build one for as cheaply as they sell them on artmediaonline.