PDA

View Full Version : Velocity Deep V's

ohmylou
05-21-2008, 08:08 PM
I am curious if the Deep V's are worth the money. If they are, can anyone recommend a local (Portland) shop that carries/builds them? Thank you!!

nuovorecord
05-22-2008, 08:59 AM
I am curious if the Deep V's are worth the money. If they are, can anyone recommend a local (Portland) shop that carries/builds them? Thank you!!

Velocity makes nice rims. I've got a set of them myself. Had them built at Veloce Bicycles, SE 32nd & Hawthorne. Talk to Demetri...he'll get you hooked up.

bomber
05-22-2008, 10:33 AM
I am hard on wheels but the deep V's have served me well. They are a common item, many shops carry them.

However, if you are into color choices at all I would say check out Cyclepath...I think they carry just about every color those rims are made in (I like the pink ones :P).

SpyT
05-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Deep V's can withstand the abuse from a gorilla. Check out Veloshop or Bike central... they have tons!

Also, It's very wise to setup Deep V's with low-flange hubs to compensate the stress of the spokes and hub.

ohmylou
05-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the responses. After a few months of riding, I have already slightly bent one of my stock wheels (I'm not a very light guy) and have been debating on whether I should invest in a pair of Deep V's. I am going to check them out today...

djasonpenney
05-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Bent a wheel? Bent it as opposed to it going out of true?

That shouldn't be really likely with a good wheel. If you've got a cheap one, I guess that might be par for the course.

If you're really a big guy, you might consider also using a slightly wider tire, like perhaps a 25 or even a 28.

Also, a number of my larger friends avoid the low spoke count wheels and go straight to the tandem wheels. It's just a thought.

Thanks for the responses. After a few months of riding, I have already slightly bent one of my stock wheels (I'm not a very light guy) and have been debating on whether I should invest in a pair of Deep V's. I am going to check them out today...

ohmylou
05-22-2008, 11:58 AM
:djasonpenney, you're right. To my untrained eye, the rim looked bent (flat spot). However, after I had the wheel checked out, the rim was only slightly out of true. Oh yeah...my cxcross/commuter bike is on Alex rims with Ritchey 32s. Decent combo for now...I hope.

fredlf
05-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Deep V is undoubtedly a very strong, good quality rim. It's also super-trendy. That can be a good or bad thing, depending on who you are. I also don't know if their current popularity has affected their price. The one down-side I see to them is that finding tubes with long valve-stems can be hard when you're not in PDX or some other bike-happy town.

There are many good, strong rims out there. It's hard to go wrong with a Mavic Open Pro (for road bike sized wheels) or a Sun Rhyno (for MTB sized wheels). If you can find an old Bontrager Clyde (circa mid-90's), you can build up a wheel you could use for space-shuttle landing gear.

Also, a major factor in longevity and durability is who makes the wheel. In my experience, hand-built wheels are much tougher than machine-built wheels.

Pdxrunner
05-29-2008, 05:24 AM
WTB Dual duty 29er rim. on sale at Nashbar 19.99 VERY Strong!
http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?category=6000113&subcategory=60001128

or complete wheelset 29er (mtn spacing for Hybrids) 119.98 !
http://www.blueskycycling.com/product3512_77_-Shimano-Deore-29er-Disc-Wheelset-w--WTB-Dual-Duty-FR-Rims.htm

Check out this FR stem. VERY strong & cheap 14.98
http://www.blueskycycling.com/product2236_51_-FSA-FR-200-Stem.htm