PDA

View Full Version : Beat the Heat...

K'Tesh
05-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Boy, it was HOT today... http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/devil.gif

I found that when I want to ride distance in this kind of heat, I need a really COOL method of staying Cool. :cool:

My method:
Drink Lots of water.

Wear cotton, it absorbs a lot of water, and it's slow to lose it (that's why it sucks for cold/wet weather). I soak my shirt, and I carry a lot of water. As I ride, I add water as often as I feel like it's drying out. If I can, I'll stop and replenish my water as I ride at convenience stores/fast food restaurants or drinking fountains.

Also, those gel filled neck cooling wraps are a big help. http://bikeportland.org/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Often I'll find that when I arrive where I'm going, I'm actually a bit chilled.

It is important to remember to add sunscreen wherever you're exposed to the sun (but you know that already).

Any other tips out there?

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Psyfalcon
06-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Ride faster, better evaporative cooling.

I'm getting sick just looking at my (stationary) rollers right now, but a nice 15+ mph ride isn't that bad.

Krampus
06-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Yep, I rode a combined total of 28 miles yesterday (Saturday). It was great, but here is my problem.

Before I started my riding for the day I went to the Bike Gallery in downtown and bought & installed a water bottle holder and water bottle. Up until now I haven't had one on this particular bike.

But how in the hell does one keep their water bottle constantly filled? A bottle doesn't hold THAT much liquid, and after you've been riding for 5 or so miles and take a quick stop to drink, most of the water ends up gone (the water doesnt stay cool at all either.. its almost as hot as the weather!)

Shouldn't Portland invest in a bunch of water fountains along the Springwater Corridor and other long stretches? How do you guys keep your bottle filled on super hot days? Is it taboo to stop in stores, restaurants, markets, whatever and ask to refill your bottle?

This is a problem I've never thought of or encountered til yesterday. I don't wear a messenger bag or backpack on warm days because the area it sits on against my back gets no ventilation and I end up sweating a ton which is counter productive.

I just want to get a nice Dutch bike with a massive basket so I could pop a couple gallon jugs of water in the front and not have to worry about anything!

K'Tesh
06-29-2008, 12:01 PM
I make a cooling bottle... :cool:

Take an ordinary waterbottle (ie one you get at WinCo, or Freddes) poke a hole in the cap with a straightpin or safetypin. Now you don't use more water than you need to when you need to chill...

Fill with water and go riding you cool devil you :cool:

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Krampus
06-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Wait what now? I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Poke a hole in the cap ? How does that limit the amount of water you need? :)

K'Tesh
06-29-2008, 01:01 PM
This is for a cooling spray, just enough to keep you damp... Evaporation does the rest, reducing your temp, and thus the amount you loose to sweating.

Drinking water is still something you should carry a lot of, and/or be prepared to aquire on the road.

wsbob
06-29-2008, 01:55 PM
As you get in better shape, you'll be able to cover greater distance for less water consumed. That's my experience from the past when I was in better condition. Except for days like yesterday, I used to be able to go a long ways on 500cc of water. Of course, drank lots after the ride was over, but not so much during.

Yesterday, I drank so much water...I lost track. Downtown, it's not a problem; lots of fountains around, though familiarity with the area is helpful in order to find them easily.

Krampus, some people mount multiple water bottles on their bikes. Also, use the 12 oz rather than the 8 oz bottle (correction: 750 cc and 500 cc). Insulated bottles are available, but I wouldn't waste money on those. Water will rehydrate your body whether it's hot or cold. Speaking of 'hydrate', lots of people seem to be completely charmed by those camelback hydration systems with the tube running to your mouth and whatnot. I've never used one...to me, they seem a little too much like something from Dune. You'd have to wear it on your back too, which you don't seem to want to do. Can't blame you for that.

Krampus
06-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Ahh a misting device, that is a good idea although I sweat enough as it is so I'm not sure it would make much of a difference? Besides, wouldnt you essentially be spraying hot mist on yourself? Seems like it'd create a feeling of increased humidity more than anything?

As you get in better shape, you'll be able to cover greater distance for less water consumed. That's my experience from the past when I was in better condition. Except for days like yesterday, I used to be able to go a long ways on 8 oz of water. Of course, drank lots after the ride was over, but not so much during.

Yesterday, I drank so much water...I lost track. Downtown, it's not a problem; lots of fountains around, though familiarity with the area is helpful in order to find them easily.

Krampus, some people mount multiple water bottles on their bikes. Also, use the 12 oz rather than the 8 oz bottle. Insulated bottles are available, but I wouldn't waste money on those. Water will rehydrate your body whether it's hot or cold. Speaking of 'hydrate', lots of people seem to be completely charmed by those camelback hydration systems with the tube running to your mouth and whatnot. I've never used one...to me, they seem a little too much like something from Dune. You'd have to wear it on your back too, which you don't seem to want to do. Can't blame you for that.

They actually make 8oz bottles?! That wouldn't work for me at all. I got one of those 4.99 ones at the Bike Gallery.. I'd venture to say it looks like it holds 20-24oz?.

I'm a bigger guy and right now I'm dropping about 10lbs per week with all the healthy eating and cycling, and I'm noticing I do sweat less now (I can ride from my apt on nw23rd down to the river, over the Steel, south on the Esplanade to Springwater over to Umatilla and up to the Sellwood new seasons) and break a mild sweat when its about 70F, but I recover fast.

I must say though, after living in downtown and surrounding areas, I'm TERRIFIED to use those public fountains. I know it may be paranoid of me, but I've seen some people (mostly homeless folks) do some absurdly nasty stuff with those, washing their privates, peeing on them, spitting in them. One early morning I was walking to work before anyone was out and as I passed one of the fountains there was a huge log of.... number 2 in one of the fountains. No way it was from a dog, unless it was a massive dog. It was the one on the SW corner of Broadway and Washington by the Ritz Camera place, so avoid that one especially.

I always wince when I see people, especially tourist looking folks, drinking from them.

Psyfalcon
06-29-2008, 02:29 PM
The cooling is the same if its sweat or a mister. The state change from liquid to gas draws heat out of the body.

Humidity makes this less efficient because it slows evaporation. Misting yourself won't do this, it just provides another liquid water source on the skin.

Krampus
06-29-2008, 02:43 PM
The cooling is the same if its sweat or a mister. The state change from liquid to gas draws heat out of the body.

Humidity makes this less efficient because it slows evaporation. Misting yourself won't do this, it just provides another liquid water source on the skin.

Yeah that's what I presumed. I sweat my ass off still. I quit smoking cigs 2 weeks ago and I'm noticing with each ride my lung capacity slowly grows and I don't get so exhausted on my rides. I'm taking full advantage of these super hot days though so that I can condition myself to still do my long rides in this heat so that hopefully when the weather tames back down I'll be able to travel far distances without soaking myself in sweat.

I also make sure to load up on good carbs about an hour-90 min before any long ride, and I'll always opt for OJ or something over gatorade. I really have little health knowledge but I try to sense what my body is wanting. The other night I drank too much water and on my way back home I started getting cramps in my stomach..

djasonpenney
06-29-2008, 05:01 PM
I use a Camelbak and I fill it with ice. I used to use a camelbak on most rides, but now I reserve it for truly extreme conditions. Like yesterday and today, or a full day in the Oregon high desert.

Just one approach.

P.S. -- you know how the Camelbak was invented? A bicycle racer in Texas who happened to be an EMT took an empty saline drip bag and attached it to his jersey with a sock and some safety pins. Once a bite valve was added, the invention was complete. My point? It gets hot in Texas :D

wsbob
06-29-2008, 06:02 PM
"They actually make 8oz bottles?! That wouldn't work for me at all. I got one of those 4.99 ones at the Bike Gallery.. I'd venture to say it looks like it holds 20-24oz?." Krampus

Krampus, I just guessed about the volume without checking, and I guessed wrong. Actually I was referring to two basic sizes. 500 cc and 750 cc. I tried to do the conversion to oz, but wasn't sure about what I was doing. I think it's close to 17 oz and 25 oz respectively. I figured you'd prefer the larger size.

re; the benson fountains. While it's true that a lot of unsanitary things get water from them, I've never worried much about contamination. Why? Those fountains provide a constant flow of fresh water. People drinking from those fountains are drinking fresh water straight from the pipes rather than water dipped from a basin or drank from a community cup or bottle. Portland has some of the best water in the nation.

Even if a person touched the metal with their mouth while drinking, or if some kind of contamination came into contact with the metal surrounding the water orifice, because of the continuous flow of fresh water, I'm thinking any such contamination would be quickly washed away, and certainly wouldn't go back down into the pipes and contaminate the supply. Never the less, I've known people that were anxious about drinking from them.