PDA

View Full Version : Close call - hwy 30

Richard Seton
05-12-2008, 09:22 AM
A friend and I were out on a final training ride for the Davis Double Sunday. We were riding my tandem out to Sauvie Island along hwy 30, and were cruising west through Linnton at around 25 - the speed limit here is 40 I believe. A driver travelling the opposite direction decides that they want to pull into the parking lot of a convenience store, so they pull a left turn across in front of us. How we didn't t-bone right into the passenger door, I'll never know. Somehow, I managed to steer around the back of the vehicle. Had we connected, it would have been hospital for both of us - given the speed we were going.

That was the closest call I've had in years.

PDXGS
05-12-2008, 12:44 PM
A friend and I were out on a final training ride for the Davis Double Sunday. We were riding my tandem out to Sauvie Island along hwy 30, and were cruising west through Linnton at around 25 - the speed limit here is 40 I believe. A driver travelling the opposite direction decides that they want to pull into the parking lot of a convenience store, so they pull a left turn across in front of us. How we didn't t-bone right into the passenger door, I'll never know. Somehow, I managed to steer around the back of the vehicle. Had we connected, it would have been hospital for both of us - given the speed we were going.

That was the closest call I've had in years.

Ah, the Davis Double....the memories. No better event for a tandem.
Have fun and don't forget your tanning butter! Glad to hear that you got lucky with the asshat on 30.