PDA

View Full Version : RTB questions

drosen
05-11-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm going on my first RTB next weekend. I have a couple of questions.

1. Other than checking in and at the end, will I have to check in at any intermediate stops? I'm starting in Beaverton.
2. How long will it take? I'm a regular rider to the beach, have done my share of centuries, averaging around 14-16 mph. However, I've never gone this route. Should I expect around 6-7 hours?

Thanks

brock
05-12-2008, 03:10 PM
I've only ridden RTB once, but since no one else has replied, I'll give it a go:

1) Nope, you just check in at the beginning. You can stop at the intermediate spots for water and calories, or you can ride on by. Given the weather forcast, stop and hydrate! :) I don't recall checking in at the end other than to get the meal tickets and bike parking stub.

2) It's pretty average difficulties as far as centuries go. Up and over the coast range 2/3rds of the way through and headwinds near the coast can make it interesting, but if you've done this before there's no reason you won't average 14-16 ride time. Pretty good crowd and some fast moving groups, so if you find some fast guys it can go pretty quick.

Probably the best organized century I've ever ridden, and a good cause.

djasonpenney
05-13-2008, 08:47 AM
First of all, the elevation is a cinch. I have one record from about four years ago that states 2000 feet total. That includes a (gasp) 1500 foot summit on the coast range.

However, as the previous poster noted, there can be some pretty breathtaking headwinds in Yamhill and Polk Counties. It just depends on the day.

If you've done centuries, this will be a snap. Have a blast!

drosen
05-14-2008, 03:13 PM
I know about the headwinds. My riding partner and I have ridden into several from 101 into Woods, while going to Pacific City. We've done centuries before so we're all pumped about this one.

drosen
05-16-2008, 12:25 PM
How strict is RTB about starting at 7 a.m.? How do they start out? Is it chaos at the beginning or do they have a rolling start? Do they let you start early if you're ready to go? I'm trying to avoid mayhem at the beginning of the ride.

lynnef
05-16-2008, 12:32 PM
It is not a race. You leave when you are ready. I've seen riders out before 7am. The only thing you might run in to is that a rest stop may not be open when you get there.

drosen
05-16-2008, 12:42 PM
I know it's not a race, believe me!:D I used to do the Cascade Run-Off and it took forever to get around all the slow runners. I'm not the fastest, but not the slowest either. Thanks, that helps.