PDA

View Full Version : $5,000 Reward

AARP-Racer
05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
$5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of a driver and passenger of a "lifted" dark green Dodge Ram pickup, Oregon license number 353 CRV. This past Saturday, May 3rd, after having just come off the Wheatland Ferry, I turned south on Wheatland Ferry Road. A minute later the above mentioned truck's passenger threw an approixmately 10lbs cannister which hit me directly in the upper back, neck, and head. The truck was travelling approximately 50mph in the same direction (south) at the time of the assault. Moments later, the truck turned around (to finish me off?) and as it approached I was fortunate that another vehicle appeared -- at which the Dodge truck immediately floored it and departed the scene to the north. Although injured and disoriented, I was able to make my way back to my vehicle. I contacted the Marion Country Sheriff's Department (911 call) who hours(!) later took my statement. Their first number of questions dealt with what I had done to enrage the driver (nothing). if I had a previous run in with the driver (no), or any other action that caused the driver to act in such a fashion. Since I was unable to positively identify the driver or passenger, they said there was nothing much they could do. They did confirm that the license plate number I had gotten did match a vehicle of my description (Dodge). They went on to suggest that if I saw the truck again while riding in the area (that's not going to happen) that I should try to get a look at who's driving (unbelievable). So the Sheriffs were of absolutely no help or support.

I feel fortunate that I wasn't seriously injured or killed. I am serious. If you have any information that leads to the arrest and conviction of these morons, I will be more than glad to pay the reward.

Attornatus_Oregonensis
05-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Glad you're OK. You need to contact an attorney immediately.

wsbob
05-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Maybe this is fantasyland, but the 10# container could hold DNA (too much CSI I suppose....). It's interesting that you got the license plate number. I wouldn't expect you to explain how under the circumstances. I'd agree with a.O on this one. Contact an attorney ASAP. You need someone really on their toes to get these people.

By the way AARP, I just happened to notice your forum name. I haven't been out by the Wheatland Ferry for so long. That area is really the country...beautiful but isolated. Marion County probably doesn't have a lot of money for investigations, but they must have at least checked for priors on the driver and so forth. Maybe they couldn't or wouldn't elaborate. It must be miserable having to deal with this experience.

Simple Nature
05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Why is it that assault on a cyclist seems to be okay? More and more it is the cyclist that are the real suspects... what's wrong with this picture!?

djasonpenney
05-14-2008, 11:42 AM
There is already a move by regulatory authorities to hold the registered vehicle owner accountable. We make them liable for parking tickets. The City of Beaverton makes you prove you weren't driving a car when their photo radar catches you.

I am tired of the anonymity that people think they have on the road, especially when it comes to harassing vulnerable roadway users, be it by buzzing closely or by outright assault.

I am suggesting that the law should be changed:

A vehicle description and license plate shall be sufficient to submit a criminal complaint;
The owner of the vehicle shall be summoned to "show cause", to either indicate that he was the operator of the vehicle or to swear under affidavit who was in fact operating the vehicle.
Since it is often the "shotgun" passenger who pulls this crap, an allowance is made for the driver of the vehicle to name the culprit. However,
If the culprit denies accountability, the operator of the motor vehicle shall be held accountable.

Whaddaya think? It's outright cowardice and antisocial behavior of the worst kind to attack or threaten someone and then run away.

keithwwalker
08-19-2008, 08:19 PM
If a cop ever asks me a question like that, I am gonna sarcastically ask him right back, if I saw a cop bleeding on the sidewalk, should I:

Call 911 immediately
or ask the cop what he had done to enrage someone else

Well maybe not.

This proves my point that police often predetermine and ascribe guilt to bicyclists, sometimes out of a determined goal of reducing paperwork.

That to me is worthy of an internal affairs complaint.

Regardless, lifted trucks are not that common, and when I am in the area I will keep an eye out.

Keith Walker

Their first number of questions dealt with what I had done to enrage the driver (nothing). if I had a previous run in with the driver (no), or any other action that caused the driver to act in such a fashion.

ira37
08-26-2008, 10:03 AM
$5,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of a driver and passenger of a "lifted" dark green Dodge Ram pickup, Oregon license number 353 CRV. This past Saturday, May 3rd, after having just come off the Wheatland Ferry, I turned south on Wheatland Ferry Road. A minute later the above mentioned truck's passenger threw an approixmately 10lbs cannister which hit me directly in the upper back, neck, and head. The truck was travelling approximately 50mph in the same direction (south) at the time of the assault. Moments later, the truck turned around (to finish me off?) and as it approached I was fortunate that another vehicle appeared -- at which the Dodge truck immediately floored it and departed the scene to the north. Although injured and disoriented, I was able to make my way back to my vehicle. I contacted the Marion Country Sheriff's Department (911 call) who hours(!) later took my statement. Their first number of questions dealt with what I had done to enrage the driver (nothing). if I had a previous run in with the driver (no), or any other action that caused the driver to act in such a fashion. Since I was unable to positively identify the driver or passenger, they said there was nothing much they could do. They did confirm that the license plate number I had gotten did match a vehicle of my description (Dodge). They went on to suggest that if I saw the truck again while riding in the area (that's not going to happen) that I should try to get a look at who's driving (unbelievable). So the Sheriffs were of absolutely no help or support.

I feel fortunate that I wasn't seriously injured or killed. I am serious. If you have any information that leads to the arrest and conviction of these morons, I will be more than glad to pay the reward.

That is potentially attempted murder, call an attorney, the cops have some explaining to do.