PDA

View Full Version : The ReBuilding Center has a really bad bike rack.

pdxbikerboy
05-01-2006, 06:12 PM
So I know that most people who shop at TRC go there by car, but I try to go there by bike and often stop by there on my way home from work (by bike) to see if anything new and cool has shown up. One thing that I've noticed though is that their rack really, well, it sucks. It's hard to describe, but essentially it is almost impossible to get the bike frame within U-lock distance of the rack, unless you park parallel to the rack and take up all the spaces. I feel bad griping because they are good folks and they obviously tried. They even went so far as to recess the rack into the building which shelters it (unfortunately it also shelters bike thieves from the public eye if they decide to pursue their craft on a bike there).

I've mentioned it a couple of times to the staff, who work really hard and are really busy by the way, but nothing comes of it.

Since the racks outside of Mississippi Pizza are frequently full, it would be nice to have the option of parking across the street. Bikers in the area would be much better served by racks similar to what they have at the Interstate & Portland Blvd. New Seasons. Each rack (of which there are 8 or so) is essentially an upside down U. Each bike can lean up against its U and a U-lock can go around the rack and the bike frame. And when capacity gets high, you can park a bike on the other side of the U.

Why am I posting this? Well, I have had no luck. After a year of casual mentions and suggestions, nothing has changed. I am hoping that some of you other bikey folks can nudge the RBC to get a better rack system. Or perhaps one of you works there and has an inside line.

Shouldn't a business that has such an awesome and sustainable mission do a better job of providing facilities for bikes?

Thanks!

Rixtir
05-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Have you tried talking with the City about putting in a rack? Here's their website: Bicycle Racks (http://www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?a=58384&c=34813)