PDA

View Full Version : Driver cited

Dannymac
04-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Yesterday evening my wife was side swiped by a professional driving a tractor-trailer rig. She was traveling northbound on N.E. 20th preparing to cross I-84 when the truck passed too close, crossing into the bike lane and knocking her off the bike.

Paramedics were dispatched to the scene as was a Portland Police Officer. She suffered the usual abrasions to the knees, elbows and wrist, plus some bruising and probable sprains; the paramedics treated her at the scene and went on their way.

After questioning the two witnesses who stated clearly that she was in the bike lane at the time, the attending officer gave the impression that a citation would not be issued. To her credit my wife pressed the matter, insisting on adding her own testimony and representing her role as an advocate with close ties to leadership elements within the bike community. Upon hearing her concern, the officer re-considered, questioned the witnesses further and made a decision to cite the driver.

Given the events of this past year and the clear tendency of Portland Police to side with motorists in such cases, I felt that perhaps this incident represented the beginning of a shift in the attitudes of local law enforcement agencies with respect to cyclists rights. If in fact there is one thing we need to remain focused on as cyclists, it is equal treatment under the law.

Thanks for listening and keep the rubber side down!

Attornatus_Oregonensis
04-29-2008, 06:36 PM
Glad to hear your wife got the right result, even if she had to advocate while banged up at the scene of a collision.

And, as I have said before: If the Portland police won't cite drivers who hit cyclists, we will.

K'Tesh
04-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Glad to hear the driver got what was coming to 'em... Vulnerable User Law case?

Hope your wife is doing well, and don't forget to take care of that road rash (http://http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1599) to prevent infection.

Be Safe Out There!
K'Tesh