PDA

View Full Version : Best Shippers For Recumbents?

bikermark
04-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi,

I need to select a shipper to bring a recumbent here to Portland from Canada. I believe the seller is planning to pack the bike up in an oversized box without disassembling the bike. Which shippers have a good track record?

Bikermark

Jeff Wills
04-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi,

I need to select a shipper to bring a recumbent here to Portland from Canada. I believe the seller is planning to pack the bike up in an oversized box without disassembling the bike. Which shippers have a good track record?

Bikermark

Hi, Mark-

One box for a recumbent? That's going to be huge. It'll probably be beyond anything UPS will take (even at "oversize" rates). You'll be dealing with a conventional over-the-road trucking company, I think. I can't give you any specific recommendations, but I think there's a truck driver or two on the OHPV mailing list. Want me to pass on a note?

(Random thoughts: maybe you should ask Sherman at Coventry? Or the folks at Clever Cycles?)

BTW: I hope you and the seller are prepared to deal with Customs and so on. I've heard horror stories about stuff shipped to the Great White North- i don't know if the opposite is true.

Jeff

rainperimeter
04-29-2008, 12:16 PM
what about the seat? and the steering set-up? is this a short wheel base or long wheel base? i worked in a recumbent shop for a couple years in minneapolis, i can't figure how one box is gonna handle all that bike. everything we received and shipped out came in 2 boxes and disassembled to varying degrees.