PDA

View Full Version : San Juan Island routes?

drosen
04-20-2008, 07:36 PM
My wife and I will be going to the San Juan Islands in June for about 5 days. Where is there a decent map of routes to go road biking on the islands? I've looked on the internet, but have found little. Any place in Portland with maps that I might buy? Thanks

K'Tesh
04-20-2008, 10:15 PM
My wife and I will be going to the San Juan Islands... Where is there a decent map of routes... Any place in Portland with maps that I might buy?

I cannot be certain, but Powells Books and REI come to mind

lynnef
04-20-2008, 10:50 PM
google "bicycle san juan islands"

many links appear!

Attornatus_Oregonensis
04-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I highly recommend riding around Orcas and up Mt Constitution. Great climb, exhilarating descent, and fantastic views at the top.

raruss1
04-21-2008, 11:24 AM
There are not many roads on the islands and they are all pretty good, depends on what you want. My favorite island has always been Shaw. Most of the time you can lay down in the road and take a nap. And check out the library on the island if it is still there.

When getting off of the ferry on the busier islands, my suggestion is to pull over and take a nap or eat something and wait for the cars to clear out then you will have the road to yourself for the most part.

Western Flyer
05-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Here are two out-of-print books I found on Amazon.com. I use to have a copy of Exploring by Bicycle, 25 years ago. I donít think much has changed in the San Juans since then. If you are going to be camping be sure to stay at the county park on the west side of San Juan Island, about mid island. I donít remember the parkís name. There is pod of orcas that regularly passes by in the morning. It is quite a thrill to be woken up by such magnificent creatures.

Touring the Islands: Bicycling in the San Juan, Gulf, and Vancouver Islands (Paperback)
by Peter Powers (Author)

Exploring by Bicycle : Southwest British Columbia and the San Juan Islands (Paperback)
by Janet Willson (Author), Tim Perrin (Author)