PDA

View Full Version : Tubes?

GelFreak91
04-28-2006, 09:04 AM
I recently moved to Portland from the Detroit, MI area. When I moved here I decided due to all the biking commuters I'd do the same. I went to a bike shop and bought the Allez Triple. From my understanding not the best road bike available, but it gets the job done.

My problem/question is how many tubes does everyone else go through in a week, month, year? I've been commuting for 3 weeks and in one week alone I blew two tubes. Not from road debris but pinched tubes. I ride at the proper inflation level. I believe the railroad tracks are what blows them but can't be 100% sure because they've never instantly blown. I ride from the West Hills area through downtown into the Industrial area right off the river front, apx 9 miles one way.

Thanks for input.
GelFreak91

DWK
04-28-2006, 11:10 AM
TRY PUTTING TALC INSIDE YOUR TIRES & MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SEATED
THE TUBE PROPERLY. I COMMUTE FOM NE PORTLAND TO BEAVERTON &
HAVE HAD ONE FLAT IN THE LAST YEAR (OVER 2000 MILES). I USE REALLY LIGHT BONTRAGER RACEX TIRES & STILL DONT GET FLATS. I INFLATE TO 120 TO 130 PSI.

TheDL
04-28-2006, 08:53 PM
If you're blowin' tubes due to pinching (i.e. tube pinched between the tire bead and the inside of the rim wall) then that's just improper installation. Before you pump up your tire check intween the tire and the rim on both sides of the rim for tube that's wedged in there. Usually just pressing the tire away from the rim and lifting al ittle will get a tube to slide back to where it belongs. Flats from pinches are just about 100% avoidable.

I carry two tubes and a little pack of self adhesive ParkTool pathces just incase I get in a real bind.

Welcome to Portland and good luck!

nm973
05-01-2006, 02:44 PM
One thing that would help is how heavy are you?
I am 245 and I have to keep my pressures to the high side of the recommended tire pressure, so I use 120 psi.
I have not recieved a flat in 1,500 miles. What tires are you using. For a commuter bike, I would recommend the Continental GatorSkin, it is a very durable, but still fairly good feeling road tire. I had some Vittoro (sp?) and had flats all of the time. I am now in love with the Conti GatorSkins.
Are you checking your tire pressures every morning?

GelFreak91
05-01-2006, 03:49 PM
nm973:

Weight 165-170lbs
Tire - Monoo

I went to the bike shop and checked out some new tires because mine are pretty thin.

Dont check it everymorning, but regularly.

Thanks for all the input it helped much.

Gelfreak