PDA

View Full Version : The Watch List...

K'Tesh
03-26-2008, 10:46 PM
BEFORE replying to this thread, please read the following carefully.

You had a run in with a driver who harrassed you or somehow did something so stupid to you or another cyclist that they should be watched out for... Here is where you post the license plate of the vehicle, a description of the vehicle, and a brief description of the event. Just reply to this thread...

Post on the watch list ONLY if you have license plate, or such a solid description of the car (such as an art car) that we could recognize it... Perhaps if enough people can document their run-in's with the same vehicle, we can use it to build a case for legal action. Pics are encouraged. If you have questions then please post them on The Watch List's Q & A (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?p=11800#post11800) thread.

This list IS NOT for advise, questions, or sympathy messages, they will be deleted or moved, it is only to record the bare minimums. This is done so we don't have to read tons of unrelated material. A second, more detailed post can be done in the Close Call subforum, and a link can be set up between this thread and the other post (and the usual replies can be done in the Close Call subforum). And again, if you have questions, please post them to The Watch List's Q & A (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?p=11800#post11800) thread.

Lets Pray This List Stays Short.
Be Safe Out There!
K'Tesh

K'Tesh
03-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Here's the inspiration behind my idea of the "Watch List"

A Red SUV.
Oregon License Plate YCP 533

Unprovoked Honking, harassment by passenger, Near Miss...

For more details, see Trouble @ Beaverton TC 3/26/8 (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1729).

K'Tesh
04-05-2008, 08:23 AM
This guy certainly belongs here: Salem's "Red Pickup Guy"

Maroon Red Dodge pickup with matching canopy
License: VAA 258
Driver: Ray Clinebell approx 75 yrs old, gray hair, heavy set build.
Convicted: Following Too Close and Violation of Use Limits of Sound Equipment (Horn).

Usually only a menace to cyclists in the Brush College area of West Salem (at least, as far as we know)

mtmann
05-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Oregon license YLJ 514, light colored sedan. Probably college-age boys, yelling at me and threw food at me, twice, on Burnside in Gresham. Passenger throwing food has a pierced tongue, for what that's worth.

I made a report with Gresham PD. Officer was nice and said he's going to make contact - car registered in LaPine - but said without injury or seeing the event he didn't know what they could be charged with.

K'Tesh
05-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Silver sports car... Possibly a corvette
personallized plate: ZOOM 44

Unproked honking (Violation of Use Limits of Sound Equipment (Horn)).
Passing too close.

Please post replys to the description post (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1961).

coyote4130
06-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Time/Date: about 5pm. Sunday June 1st.

Newer-looking silver car. License plate 71? ???. Car makes a hissing type sound, like an air compressor, when shifting.

Driver: Mid 20's. Not skinny. Dark short hair. Possible Hispanic descent.

Location: Powell, next to the credit union that is east of 122nd.

Diver was sitting in his car that was partially in the bikelane with engine on. His passenger had just jumped into the car. I whistled to alert the diver that I was passing so he wouldn't door me, or pull out and run me over. The driver stuck his hand out his window and flipped me the bird, I followed suit while I passed him. The driver then preceded to pull out and drive towards me in the bikelane, I pulled over to the right (without stopping) and the driver passed me while fully in the bikelane.

K'Tesh
06-04-2008, 05:42 PM
License Plate: YAZ 279
Description: giant burgundy truck
Harrassment, Menacing... Drove a cyclist into some traffic cones, swerved at cyclist.

This was taken from Craigslist's Rant And Rave pages... Forwarded to me, but not by the author.

Shirky
06-24-2008, 09:12 AM
License Plate: VMX 670 (Oregon)
Vehicle Description: White moving or delivery type truck. No noticable logos or writing.
Location: West bound on SE Powell just before intersection at SE Powell and SE Milwaukie
Date/Time: Wed June 8, 2008 at about 7:45AM

I heard a vehicle come up behind me and I thought it was probably a bus. I glanced back to see the grill of a white truck 4 to 5 feet directly behind me. I maintained my speed and was about 1.5 feet off the right curb. The truck sped up to pass, but paused when the passenger side was even with me, about 3 feet from me, and the passeger (wearing a baseball cap and what looked like a gray college logo pullover) leaned out the window to yell at me, "Get off the fucking road. Go home". They then sped up and made the right turn off of SE Powell onto North bound SE Milwaukie.

Please post responses here: Re: VMX 670 (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?p=12496#post12496), Thanks! K'Tesh

flying_dutchman
08-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Oregon plate CL 13032
dark metallic green Subaru station wagon. The driver was deeply engrossed in a paperback book while driving.

White male, redish blond hair mid 20s

JeffW
08-19-2008, 01:42 PM
19 Aug 08 13:10
Westbound SE 34th between SE 192nd Ave & SE Hiddenbrook Dr, Vancouver

Silver Suzuki, Compact Sedan
Washington plates: 068 SWV

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2779333158_55a231472e.jpg?v=0

Man in late 40s, early 50s, gray hair, eyeglasses. Following too closely (close enough that I couldn't see his front bumper in my mirror), revving engine and buzzing during pass.

I was traveling approx 30mph (can check GPS if needed). He was in a big hurry to get to red light at SE Hiddenbrook Dr where I pulled up behind him and got photo of license plate. Didn't confront motorist because I was (and still am) shaken and needed to get back to work without dying on the street in front of it.

Left message for Sgt Wayne, Vancouver Traffic Division, 360 487 7485 with details.

Haven_kd7yct
09-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Sep 3 2008
Intersection of Durham Rd and Upper Boones Ferry, heading East

License plate: UTA 246 (Oregon tree plate)
Black Toyota pickup, no badging on the rear tailgate

Aggressive revving of his engine, passing illegally on the right in the right turn lane

Bald or balding white male, with a largish beer belly.

beelnite
09-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Decomissioned Police cruiser, probably bought at auction. Black with White Doors, no markings or ram grill, Oregon plates.

Menacing with vehicle. Corner of SE Ankeny and 39th Avenue, about 5:01 p.m. Revved and sped towards me in crosswalk with intent to scare or kill. Move or die.

Dark haired, light skinned male.

Please keep an eye out... I so want that @#$% license plate!!!

Update: I found a similar cruiser on 89th & Burnside. I met the driver. Not the guy I'm looking for. He offered to keep an eye out as he always spots old cruisers when driving.

blackpeugot
10-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Portland RJX 271
Primer Grey 80's American Van
CB Radio in cab
Male 55-65, grey beard
SE13th and Main.

death threats
This guy will try and kill you just because you are on two wheels.
Stay away, don't provoke, he may be armed.

Reported to the police.
If anyone know where this van is / lives... let me know, I'd like to point the cops in the right direction.

You can post replies to this event here (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?p=15986#post15986).

lynnef
10-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Elderly white male, glasses
OR plates 225 CEG
White/Cream SUV type vehicle

Stopped at red light on SW Barnes Rd, westbound at Cedar Hills intersection, in the rightmost left-turn lane.

Comes up behind us and honks (mind you, there is a red light and we are stopped). We wave (all fingers and smiles)

Green light, off we go, turning left. Note that traffic is also coming in from the right, mostly to get onto Hwy 26 westbound. We always take the lane until we get past the on-ramp, then move over to the shoulder.

He honks again, then passes very closely to my RIGHT (yes, could have touched him), then cuts in front of us, gets in the LEFT lane, and eventually gets onto Hwy 26 EASTBOUND.

WTF?

Beaverton Police has been told, and will be speaking to him. Firmly.

You can post replies to this event here (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2496).

edki
11-07-2008, 06:27 PM
White or Cream PT Cruiser. Oregon 778 CDU.

Female driver became irrationally irate that I took the lane while still on the bridge with a red light ahead to make the left from 12th to Lloyd (the 84 overpass).

Yelled for a while at the light then proceeded through green light and in her anger ran the next red light at Lloyd and 11th (right turn, no stop). Managed to follow to the Kaiser Permanente Office just off MLK where pictures were taken.

Generic middle aged, overweight cage rager.

Be careful out there.

flying_dutchman
12-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Dark maroon (dirty) Subaru Lic. # YDL 759. Driver White Male mid 20s dark hair, unshaven.

I was traveling south, commuting home in the dark, well past the stop light, in a bike lane, under street lights, and in the glow of the gas station. I have 2 bright and well charged headlights, an orange bike and a yellow wind breaker. The driver takes a wide arc from oncoming travel lane RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME into the gas station. I drop anchor and panic stop.

When I talked with the driver he apologized as if that would absolve him from his potentially murderous inattention. I tried to talk to him about the gravity of his lapse, but I could only blubber non-sequeters and I left with the exclamation "DAMN".

We are the only ones who attend to our safety. Be careful out there!

K'Tesh
12-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Happened at night, car was danger close in passing me on Denny Rd, near King in Beaverton. Startle honked, nearly caused me to crash. I had been heading straight and had lights on, clear and dry conditions, happened at 6:53pm.

Oregon plate: 833 DAU

Didn't get a look at the driver (how could I see through the roof?). Car's a dark sedan, didn't get the color. Beaverton Police were called, and said that they would talk to the owner.

You can post replies on this thread (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2643).

beelnite
12-30-2008, 11:08 AM
License plate: TCR 843

Black Honda Mini-SUV.

Traveling on SE Main and about 100th Ave near the hospital.

25 mph zone.

Must have taken exception to the fact I wasn't squeezing the shoulder due to all the gravel and debris. Decided to gun the engine and roar past me leaving, seriously, less than an inch from my left hand grip. One wrong move and I am toast.

Gave chase, white male, dark hair, fled from crazy little me by taking a frantic right turn at Cherry Blossom causing side traffic to slow to let him burn on in.

I rode two blocks up 108th to the local Gateway Precinct and reported this fool.

t27
02-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Oregon WCX 880 Red Jeep Cherokee
Driven by young white male with dark hair and presumably very small male anatomy.

Observed running stop signs, driving on the sidewalk, speeding on one lane residential roads and in front of schools, tailgating, weaving through traffic, swerving in front and slamming on the brakes, shouting obscenities and gesturing at fellow road users.

Hello SWAT team, we have an armed lunatic loose on the streets of Beaverton.

Reported to the police, but unless they see him there is not much they can do except send a nasty letter. How long can someone go like this before they hurt somebody or get caught enough times to make a difference?

K'Tesh
02-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Only one jerk appeared on the last Easy Rider's Jaunt...

Honking, crowding, yelling

Metalic Grey Prius
Oregon Tree License Plate 089 DML

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/3247139316_b94e0ae8b4.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/3247139316/in/set-72157605634390406/)

Stupid SOB was in such a hurry to get his Big Mac...

LOSER!!!

Please post replies to the Replies to: Jerk Driver... Oregon Tree License Plate 089 DML (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?p=18432#post18432) thread

t27
03-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Since I last posted regarding this guy, I have witnessed him pass someone on the right who was stopped at a stop sign and signaling right. Wait it gets better. He drove over a planting strip and sidewalk to do it. Probably how he justifies a Jeep in the city.

And today he turned right from the left turn only lane, because the right turn cars were not going fast enough.

I have complained to the Beaverton Police, but this nutcase still plagues our streets. Since his schedule is regular, I get to see his antics almost every morning.

What else can be done?

zpl
03-03-2009, 12:49 PM
I have complained to the Beaverton Police, but this nutcase still plagues our streets. Since his schedule is regular, I get to see his antics almost every morning.

What else can be done?

How predictable is it to spot him? If you could take a video clip of what he's doing and deliver that to the police, it should be a no-brainer for them.

If I lived closer to Beaverton I'd offer to help you record him. Perhaps someone nearby will offer their time?

Scott

jr98664
03-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Location: Heading westbound on Mill Plain Boulevard in Vancouver, WA between Chkalov and I-205 (Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/dgvlc5))
Date & Time: 6:25 pm on Friday, March 6th, 2009
Vehicle: Small silver SUV
Plates: Washington 537-VAB
Driver: Blond-haired middle-aged white woman in red jacket

East of I-205, Mill Plain is three lanes in each direction. West of I-205, there are two lanes in each direction. Heading westbound, the rightmost lane must turn right onto I-205 northbound. There are signs stating this for over a third of a mile to the east. As such, I always move into and take the middle lane until it becomes the right lane on the west side of the freeway.

Nothing out of ordinary for rush hour traffic. Everything was exactly as expected. I was moving as fast as most traffic, even passing the cars on my right that were waiting to get onto I-205 northbound. I'm through Chkalov and approaching the overpass where I make absolutely certain to take the full width of the lane in order to remain as conspicuous as possible to the idiots racing in and out of the weave lane on the north side of the overpass. Just then, a woman wails her horn at me. It lasted for a good three or four seconds as she passed me at less then a safe distance and then cut me off, forcing me into the curb. I looked right at her as she yelled something along the lines of "Get the *expletive* off the road!" at me.

I immediately pulled over and kept repeating the plate number out loud as I called the cops. I'm assuming that all 911 calls are recorded, so the first thing I do is say the plate number as to have a record of it. A police officer was then sent out to look for the car. Hopefully I was able to provide enough information.

This tends to be a problem location simply due to the level of tired suburbanites commuting, and is only further compounded by the complete lack of bicycle facilities.

t27
03-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Oregon YXS-683 driven by - you guessed it - white hair white beard middle aged looser. Probably less than 5 years older than me, but looks at least 15 years older.

I am signaling and turning right from the center of the lane across a curb cut. Baby blue chooses to buzz by with less than 6 inches to spare at about 30 MPH. Posted speed is 20. He parked about 4 blocks away and I asked him if that was necessary. He denied speeding, crossing the double yellow line and coming too close. Math literacy skills? I reminded him that if I was in my car I would have even slowed down more for the right turn and the rules of the road are the same for bikes and cars. He thought he was sharing the road and I was not.

I wish there was something I could do besides preach to the choir.

zpl
03-12-2009, 01:45 PM
I wish there was something I could do besides preach to the choir.

By following the rules of the road, signaling your turns, and riding respectfully, you are setting an important example and acting as a PR representative of our community. Over the long term, this has a strong impact even if you encounter a few close calls every so often. Don't be discouraged.

Scott

jr98664
04-16-2009, 11:22 PM
WA 927-NZK
Red two-door Saturn, I believe.

I was cycling westbound in the right-hand lane on Mill Plain Boulevard, when a car came up behind me and wailed on the horn. When I turned to look at the car, he sped up and attempted to rear-end me. I stopped, got off of my bike, and blocked him in as I called Police. As I was telling them the location and plate number, the driver drove up onto the sidewalk to get around me before turning north onto 136th Ave and speeding off. Thankfully, other motorists stopped and asked if everything was all right.

I am pretty sure that I can identify the driver by name.

t27
06-10-2009, 08:15 AM
I previously asked how long someone could drive like a complete jerk before the law or the law of averages caught up with them. It appears the answer is about 6 months.

This morning the nutcase in the red jeep was pulled over by 3 Beaverton PD. Simple traffic stops seldom require more than 2.

It will be interesting to see if he is still on the road and up to his old self.

K'Tesh
06-18-2009, 10:29 PM
UGL 570 a red sports car (pontiac?)

I was riding into Portland this afternoon on Barbur Blvd. I passed Barbur Transit, and was heading straight for the next light at a good speed. I noted that the light was red, and several cars were stopped. I backed off the speed to try to time it so I wouldn't need to stop, and sure enough the light turned green. It was then that I felt nervous about the situation, and slowed down even further, and moved far to the right in the bike lane.

Suddenly, a red sports car, plate UGL 570 pulled right, just ahead of me, and proceeded to pull into a closed coffee stand to pull around to go back uphill. Had I not backed off my speed, and kept to the right in the bike lane I'd have been a victim of a right hook.

The driver looked like one of those guys you see on "The Deadlist Catch", and he had his curly, white haired, mother with him.

When he stopped, I expected him to get out and talk about what had just happened, but he just yelled "Sorry", in a tone that I felt was less than genuine, and then backed up to pull out and go back uphill.

It all happened so fast I didn't have a chance to pull my camera out, and since I wasn't hurt, and nobody stopped to see if I was ok, I kept moving too (but not before I wrote down the license plate).

You can post replies to this incident here (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?p=20467#post20467).

Be Careful Out There!
K'Tesh

dawndol
08-27-2009, 08:35 AM
Riding west on N Skidmore just past MLK, approached and passed a large skip parked on the curb. As I was passing it, this light blue minivan (Oregon plate 533 CLC) approached and passed me on the left, and drove in toward me. Passed me with less than 6" between me and the car, and the skip hard on the right. Yipe! http://bikeportland.org/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

beelnite
05-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Outback that rusty red color- looks like late 1990's
Caucasian Gent - maybe in late 40's or 50's.

East Side - Heading West on Burnside: 82nd and Burnside

Stopped at the light - bicycle at the front of the cue next to a grey Taurus with Mr. 831 BRU behind.

Well 831 BRU decides it's unecessary to hold up a couple of seconds so the cyclist can get through the intersection. It's very narrow at this intersection - the bike lane takes a temporary hiatus until you cross the other side.

And there's these storm drains you really need to get around - they're not debilitating if you hit them but not pleasent to nail square.

So I choose a line that skirts the edge of the drain. It's no problem. While stopped there's plenty of room.

Everything's fine - I'm just behind Grey Taurus when Subaru...

Guns it... not more than 6 inches... BETWEEN OUR TIRES because I'm leaning to the right as much as possible to skirt the outer edge of the STORM DRAIN sitting right in my path and keeping my handlebars off his rearview mirror.

Then proceeds to tailgate the Taurus impatiently until out of site.

I used to think you look at the driver first when a vehicle approaches. No longer. Now it's License Plate AND THEN eye contact.

K'Tesh
06-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Tuesday night while I was on SW Hall Blvd I was egged by EKO 015 (a Blue Hyundai Elantra).

They had just left the Arby's Restaurant, but had attracted the attention of the manager, so he wrote down their plate, and witnessed the egging (I was also able to get the plate number thanks to my helmet headlight). I called the police, and the driver was caught, and is now facing Harassment charges (class B misdemeanor). His passengers (who threw the eggs), were also tracked down, and charged.

Please post replies here (http://www.bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?p=24098#post24098).

edki
07-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Northbound on N. Concord Friday evening 7/30/10, about 6 pm. Van driver passed aggressively and far too close (about 12 to 18 inches). Made immediate next left onto Emerson.
Vehicle is a battered white van in ill repair (belts whine) and driven by middle aged average american male.
The driver has access to a passenger car (license plate obscured) and a motorcycle with oregon plate 'hammer'.

http://bikeportland.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=123&d=1280593989

Van can also be seen on google street view here (http://tinyurl.com/uje602).

Please post replies here (http://www.bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?p=24620).

Shirky
08-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Location: Heading North on SE 17th Ave approximately one block North of SE Bybee
Date & Time: 1:10 pm 8/21/2010
Vehicle: Silver Chevrolet Blazer
Plates: OR YMF-718
Driver: Mid 60's Male, short grey or balding

As I was heading North on 17th, with my son in his trailer and wife close behind, as he sped past really close and yelled out, "Get the fuck off the road." while sticking his hand up through his sunroof with only his middle finger extended.

He didn't realize that we'd be able to catch him when he was caught by the light at 17th and McLoughlin. My wife confronted him while I got my phone out and started up the video. He let us know that roads are for cars and the people who pay for them. We let him know we owned a house, 2 cars, and pay our taxes. That is about the time I got the video rolling to inform him what he did was called menacing.

His parting shot was "...and your mayor is a faggot." Not sure how we got to that point but whatever, he was clearly insane.

I've got the last half on video, not sure what to do with it now.

Please post replies here (http://www.bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?p=24619).

flying_dutchman
12-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Cantell Sweeping

On Friday December 3 at about 10 AM I was rolling down SE Spokane Street toward the Springwater Trail and this street sweeper truck just blows through the stop sign at 7th right in front of me. I followed him to the bluff above Oaks Bottom and got him to roll down the window and told him that he had run the stop sign. He replied that he will run a bunch more before he is done. He was not sweeping, but going to a job. He apparently feels that he is entitled to disregard stops signs and that anyone who has an issue with that is an annoyance. From his high cab he told me to stop harassing him.

Apparently he has a contract with City of Portland Parks, as he then turned into the Sellwood Park parking lot, presumably to sweep.

Give this a$$hat a wide berth; he drives his multi-ton truck aggressively and with a sense of entitlement.

Spiffy
12-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Cantell Sweeping

Apparently he has a contract with City of Portland Parks, as he then turned into the Sellwood Park parking lot, presumably to sweep.

luckily with a business vehicle you can report them to their office and to their customer...

flying_dutchman
12-06-2010, 08:58 AM
luckily with a business vehicle you can report them to their office and to their customer...

Did both :?

setha
12-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Here's a link to the video of 824 EZT, a red Audi Station Wagon, not yielding me the green lane on Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway where Bertha Blvd. splits off to head south to Barbur.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPPITpo6QqI

From my description of this on youtube:

I took this with my helmet cam, 12/14/2010, about 8:45AM, eastbound Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway and Bertha Blvd, just before the Hillsdale commercial district. A red station wagon, 824 EZT, ignored the green-yield-to-bikes lane. I was not sure if the video would clearly depict the license plate. Just in case it did not, at the end of the video you hear me say the license plate. I also yelled at the car, "Thanks for stopping," even though it did not. I did that because by the time I would say, "You know, that's a green lane and you are supposed to yield for bicycles in it. Look there's a sign over there that tells you so" the car driver would be out of earshot. And, I think that there are worse things I could have yelled.

Here are 2 still pictures, one is a full frame from the original helmet cam video. The second is the license plate cropped from the first picture.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5243/5265072055_9b3919fe5d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5265072055/)
red_station_wagon_ignores_green_lane_frame_by_fram e0001 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5265072055/) by pdxcommuter (http://www.flickr.com/people/49622638@N00/), on Flickr
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5043/5265167205_10248a7628_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5265167205/)
Just the license plate from frame 0001 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/49622638@N00/5265167205/) by pdxcommuter (http://www.flickr.com/people/49622638@N00/), on Flickr

Follow the links to flickr to see the first picture in higher resolution.

Spiffy
12-16-2010, 07:33 AM
looks like enough evidence for a citizen issued citation...

setha
12-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Spiffy wrote, "looks like enough evidence for a citizen issued citation... "

I went to Ray Thomas's web page on the citizen citation process. See http://www.stc-law.com/citizenprosecutions.html

It says that you have to be able to identify the driver. I did not get a good look at the driver, and neither did the video camera. So the most that I can do is post it here and on youtube. 8-( .

beelnite
03-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Light Blue Toyota Tercel - 2 door. License Plate 990 DTF.

I think this may be assault, I'm not sure. I felt in danger for my life and safety:

At approximately 6:40 a.m. on E. Burnside approaching the SE 82nd Ave. intersection:

As I was coming down the hill westbound on Burnside toward the stoplight. Pretty good clip - maybe 16-18 mph. I heard Tercel reving behind me. Despite the red light and stopped cars a mere 500 feet in front of us, he decided to pass as the bike lane ends. I signaled "Left" to let him know my lane was ending.

He passed within inches then slammed the brakes to stop in front of me. I rolled around his passenger side between his car and the curb and, Yes... I luggied (spit) on the roadway IN FRONT of his vehicle. Feedback. Subtle. I needed to spit after being freaked. I provided NO OTHER FEEDBACK or nonverbals whatsoever. I've practiced this response many times. None of my saliva even came close to his vehicle and he had a perfect view of where my spittle landed.

BUT He blew a gasket - I could hear him screaming inside his car as I moved to the front of the cue. Light went green - he's about 4-5 cars back.

Cars pass and I hear him... I'm in the bike lane... AND HE IS IN THE BIKE LANE BEHIND ME. I look back and he's coming like he's gonna hit me! And I brace for it and he swerves right at the last moment and screeches next to me, now he's in the parking lane- then he's whipping the car right into the side street we just came upon... maybe 3 blocks from the intersection as I'm staggering- and FREAKED THE HELL OUT - INTO THE ROADWAY to avoid him.

He jumps out and I've stopped my bike in the roadway to avoid him... I roll towards the bike lane and he's just cussing at me:

"F you you SOB, I am gonna kick your effen a##, Come here, I shoulda killed you, you piece of $ht."

You get the idea - he threatened to jump back in the car and run me down. I asked him what his concern was, why he was so mad and he responded that it was because I was a prick and deserved to be "f**king run the hell down".

So I said loudly over his ranting: "I'm going to take your license plate sir and report you. You threatened me with your vehicle after passing me dangerously and you didn't even have to pass me like that!"

He responded: "You do that you piece of sht and when I find you I will kill you. Come back here you pu##y and I’ll kick your f##kin a$$."

I rode away from him after getting the plate and repeating it several times out loud. He kept yelling and I looked back after 2 blocks and he'd gotten in his car and roared off down the side street.

Fearing for my safety I quickly took a side street, pulled behind a set of bushes, turned off my lights and waited. After about 5 minutes I meandered back to Burnside. Did not see this driver or his vehicle again.

Please watch for this person - I believe Burnside is his daily route. He's about 6'2 wearing a beige Carhart Jacket, blue jeans, white male, brown hair, some facial hair, ballcap.

[K'Tesh adds: Please follow the link to reply to this thread (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?p=25762#post25762). Thanks]

Gregg Woodlawn
03-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Reckless driver passed me my inches or less at a high rate of speed on the burnside bridge during construction (and crossed over the double yellow lines)

I was next to him at a red light and he said "stay out of my way- get on the construction side of the cones- bikes don't belong in the street"

License plate said "PROF GC"

:mad:

Please post any replies to this incident in the reply thread (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?p=26045#post26045).

K'Tesh
06-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Was riding with Lily on our new bikes tonight. Between us, we had 4 tail lights, lots of reflectors, but not my typically riding illumination (I'm still outfitting the new bike).

Turned off of SW Bel Aire Dr. onto SW Denny Rd, (westbound), heading for SW King Blvd, and home.

Passed by three cars that each yielded the lane to us (Lily was point). Fourth car, which I could see in the rearview, decided to "play" with us. ASSHAT passed me by less than 6 inches.

I had a helmet light, and easily got the license plate... 069 CBF, belonging to some kind of green SUV.

Contacted 911, gave a description of what happened and then to the responding officer. Was told he'd talk to the owner.

I'm hoping that this was some kid, who's going to get an education (like how much cheaper shoes are than car payments) by a very pissed off parent.

Dovestrobe
06-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Heading south on Oleson (IN BIKE LANE) after making a right from Beaverton Hillsdale, car white Toyota (faded white paint) #EBB599 moves up 10 bicycle lengths ahead of me stops suddenly, puts signal on late and attempts to cross over bike lane and onto his apartment driveway when I'm 2 bike lengths behind. I yelled stop twice with a very loud biker fit voice and he stopped, after which he says "You're riding illegally." After which I vehemently stated while riding off, "No, your wrong, you should obey the traffic laws!!!"

I would have stopped had it come to a deadly hook, but luckily he stopped prior to my having to put on my full brakes.

Dovestrobe
06-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Came back to his apartment and pasted this to his windshield:
Oregon Driver's HandbooK
Page 38
Right Turns
Well ahead of the turning point, check for traffic behind and beside you.
Turn on your right turn signal at least 100 feet before the turn and before
you need to brake. Get as close as is practical to the right curb or edge of
the road without interfering with pedestrians or bicyclists. A bicycle lane
is considered the edge of the roadway. Do not move into a bicycle lane
in preparation for a right hand turn. Just before entering the intersection,
look to the left, front and right for oncoming traffic and cross traffic that
may also be turning. Always check for bicycles in your blind spot on
your right before turning, especially ones you have just passed. Be alert
for bicyclists who may ride up on the right side of your vehicle while
you are preparing to make the right turn. You must yield to bicyclists in a
bicycle lane or on a sidewalk before you turn across the lane or sidewalk.

Toyota 4 door sedan license plate# EBB599

K'Tesh
08-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Copied from OBRA's email list....

My intention is to inform our community:
Vehicle Tag #: 069 FEC
Auto: Toyota Tundra (?) light red not sure on year. He was towing a flatbed trailer (about 5 x 7 feet) at time.
Description: white male, over-weight, about age 45-50, white hair and beard. Aggressive
Address: 14640 NW Rock Creek Road, Portland, OREGON- last name "Wheeler"

On Rock Creek Road, repeated harassment galvanizes the community (http://bikeportland.org/2011/08/19/on-rock-creek-road-an-openly-hostile-road-user-galvanizes-the-community-57963#more-57963)

If you have a confrontation with this guy, report him to the police immediately.

Post any replies to this post by using the following link (http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4009).

fuebybike
10-25-2011, 04:18 PM
I was NB on Alderwood between Columbia and Cornfoot Rd (runs down the middle of the golf course near the airport) at 9Am on 20110922. I was riding as close to the shoulder as I could, doing about 22. There was a minivan behind me, and the white BMW plate ZFA 336 behind that.

The BMW started blowing its horn ans swerving into the other lane (I could see the movement in my mirror). The minivan started to pass, and the BMW tried to pass the minivan while it was passing me. After the minivan passed, the BMW passed blowing its horn and yelling out the window.

ZenFour
01-12-2012, 02:10 PM
I was travelling west on my bike on NE Hancock, just about to cross NE 45th, right about here (http://maps.google.com/?ll=45.53652,-122.616928&spn=0.010236,0.030899&hnear=Portland,+Oregon+97214&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=45.536512,-122.616788&panoid=54TwEa8dL_dsUKtAN_IC5w&cbp=12,293.76,,0,10.54&source=gplus-ogsb).

You can see in the above streetview link that it's a two-way stop. I didn't have a stop sign, but the red or burgundy Cadillac Escalade approaching from the right did. The Escalade slow-rolled through the stop and turned right onto Hancock, cutting me off. If I hadn't braked in time it would have collided with me. I yelled something like, "what are you doing?", and as the Escalade turned I expected to be able to make eye contact with the driver. But once I could see into the car, I could see the driver was clearly nose-down looking at the screen of an iPhone, and had earbuds in his ears. Smallish guy with very short dark hair. Pretty sure he never even saw me or heard me.

It was dark out - about 6pm on a clear winter night - but I had a bright blinking light, and reflective jacket.

I continued on behind the Escalade, and held back instead of pulling up alongside it in the bike lane that begins in the next block of Hancock. And it was a good thing: the guy turned right without a turn signal, and without really stopping.

Out of curiosity I'm going to try to report it to PoPo. Not because I think there's much of a chance of anything coming of it, but I'm curious what comes of a report of bad behavior when there's a license plate number. Something I always wonder about when the usual jerks spout off about bicycles needing license plates.

intoscenicrides
02-09-2012, 01:42 AM
These days people don't have any morals

K'Tesh
11-27-2012, 01:21 PM
The duo driving this pickup were arrested for stealing two bikes off of a guys car.... Details from the front page are found here (http://bikeportland.org/2012/11/27/bike-theft-drama-ends-with-arrest-near-se-hawthorne-blvd-80548).

http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/theftbig.jpg

I know that they are considered innocent until proven guilty, but being caught in the act, I figure that they are worth keeping an eye out for. There's an allegation that the license plate was also stolen. So, I'd note that the vehicle was a Gloss Black Ford F-150 crew cab with the logos spray painted flat black, the license was also apparently covered by a tinted-clear plastic cover.

Steven Wayne Smart
http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/smart_stevenmug.jpg

Annie O'Donovan-Schwartz
http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/schwartz_mug.jpg

Spiffy
11-29-2012, 08:46 AM
the license was also apparently covered by a tinted-clear plastic cover.

I wish they would outlaw those like other states do... there's only two reasons I can think of to have one...

1) you're trying to black-out your car...
2) you're trying to avoid responsibility for breaking the law...

most that I see fall under #2... red-light cameras reflect off these and all you see is a white square in the picture it takes, so you can't get a ticket... and it's harder to read if you're trying to get the plate # while they're driving away from an incident...

K'Tesh
10-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Was riding in Beaverton today (BH Hwy, East of Hwy 217), or was well on my way into Beaverton when I was passed by a spray painted back pickup truck. Dude pulls a startle honk on me with one of those old fashioned ahooga type horns. He didn't think I'd be able to catch him, but I did (he was caught by a red light) at the RR crossing on Farmington Rd.

Unfortunately my phone was dead, so I wasn't able to take a pic of Asshat, but he didn't know that.