PDA

View Full Version : Horse Sense...

K'Tesh
03-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Was talking to a person the other day, and I mentioned that I was a rider... I ment bikes, she thought horses... So the topic changed to horses for a while, and I thought to ask: What do you do (as a cyclist) to prevent a horse from being startled?

She told me that the best thing is to give the rider a warning (bell, voice, horn) as far off as you can, and keep it up until you are recognized. Do not zoom past a horse. Slow down and give it a lot of room.

I then found something from Washington State... It makes good Horse Sense... (http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Walk/Equestrian.htm)

See you on the trail!
Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Donald
03-13-2008, 02:53 PM
DON'T ride your bike into the side of a cop horse after an evening of underage drinking.

It's just a bad idea.

Or at least that's what I've heard.

beelnite
03-13-2008, 04:43 PM
A guy wrote a book a few years ago comparing horse training to working with people and project management. Maybe we should apply the same rules to passing a horse as people?

K'Tesh
03-13-2008, 07:56 PM
A guy wrote a book a few years ago comparing horse training to working with people and project management. Maybe we should apply the same rules to passing a horse as people?

So, I wonder what rules apply when being passed by Asses? :rolleyes:

Manners are a really good idea. :D

handfab
09-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Back in the day when mountain biking started I used to ride in an area that shared trails with horse riders.Mountain bikers were new to the horses and they usually got spooked. When we crossed paths with a horseback rider we would always stop and sometimes even get off the bike and let the horse pass. This seemed to help maintain good relations with the equestrians as well.