PDA

View Full Version : building a bike from the frame up...

bikerinNE
03-09-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm looking to buy a new frame, and build it up on my own. Does anyone know of any good reference books on how to assemble bicycles and the what not. I'm fairly good at general maintenance, but never anything to this extent and am trying to find some good DIY books.

Any help or direction on where to start would be great.

Thanks.

bonny790
03-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Park Tools Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair has been pretty good to me. I was using Park's web site for 'how to' help for a while, then my Dad gave me the book.

http://tinyurl.com/2z6ans

Toby

artizin
03-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Leonard Zinn had a good book out on road bike maintenance. I have the one for mt bikes and it's awesome. Very laymens terms... and nice illustrations. He covers pretty much everything. Check it out it's worth it.. I just might pick up a copy myself, cuz i'm building one right now as well.

Good luck

fredlf
03-26-2008, 08:53 AM
If you're really building up from a completely unbuilt frame, there are a few procedures you'll probably want a good shop to take care of. Frame prep is an important step in the build process that requires several expensive tools that the home mechanic doesn't usually own. For example, you'll want to get the headtube faced and reamed before pressing in the cups. The presses and cutting tools for these procedures alone cost over $500. If you want to learn how to do these things yourself, maybe you could rent space and tools at one of the shops that offer that service.

You'll find that with the frame properly prepped and aligned, everything else will go much more smoothly. Building up a bike isn't hard if you break things down into chunks (braking system, drivetrain, etc.) and do things in a logical order.

Hope that helps! Good luck and have fun.

nuovorecord
03-27-2008, 12:14 PM
If you're really building up from a completely unbuilt frame, there are a few procedures you'll probably want a good shop to take care of. Frame prep is an important step in the build process that requires several expensive tools that the home mechanic doesn't usually own. For example, you'll want to get the headtube faced and reamed before pressing in the cups. The presses and cutting tools for these procedures alone cost over $500. If you want to learn how to do these things yourself, maybe you could rent space and tools at one of the shops that offer that service.

You'll find that with the frame properly prepped and aligned, everything else will go much more smoothly. Building up a bike isn't hard if you break things down into chunks (braking system, drivetrain, etc.) and do things in a logical order.

Hope that helps! Good luck and have fun.

That's good advice. You might want to check out Bicycle Repair Collective on SE Belmont, around 45th or so. They have all the tools and workspace you'll need to assemble a bike, plus a knowledgeable mechanic on hand to offer assistance if need help.

http://bicyclerepaircol.qwestoffice.net/index.html

bikerinNE
03-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Sounds good, thanks people.

I did go and pick up the Big Blue Book.