PDA

View Full Version : advice on a road tire

p8ntballbiker
03-08-2008, 10:04 AM
I commute 4-5 days a week alittle over 5 miles each way to work on my Giant Mountain bike and I'm realizing that the knobbies are just not doing it for me on the road. So, I'm in the market for some decent road tires. I've heard some good things about the Maxxis Hookworm. Anyone have any opinions on a good mountain tire for commuting?

Donald
03-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Currently mounted on my 05 GF Tassajara.

They are HEAVY.

I mean really, really heavy.

They will change the feel of your ride.

I've got about 800 miles on mine and I'm just starting to see some wear.

They have a very cool performance envelope: There are some parts of my commute where I get leaned over at angles I've never experienced on my road bike. And I find myself going down stairs whenever I can, because, hey, I'm on freaking balloons.

I run mine over rec pressure, but I've heard on the flip side you can run them down to 9psi or so if you're dodging roots on a singletrack.

No flats so far and I even go out of my way to run over glass just because I can.

I have a lot of max and trolley track to deal on my daily and I don't even think about it with them.

Did I mention they are heavy?

_DA

p8ntballbiker
03-08-2008, 09:58 PM
sweet, thanks for the info, hows the drag and speed? I really need less drag cause the knobs are killing me! I'm of a larger(chubbie) frame size, so a little extra weight is not too much of an issue :)

Donald
03-08-2008, 10:24 PM
sweet, thanks for the info, hows the drag and speed? I really need less drag cause the knobs are killing me! I'm of a larger(chubbie) frame size, so a little extra weight is not too much of an issue :)

I'm 5-9, 220...

These aren't high-speed slicks. They're overbuilt and somewhat gummy.

I run mine at pretty high PSI. With about 30 pounds of kit in my Timbuk, I would say I run average to others of my fitness in my daily run.

No doubt, my roadie with 120 psi rubber on it is faster. I think my 10-mile run to work is 17mph average on my street bike and 13mph on my Fisher with these. But that's mostly downhill on the Couver/Williams corridor and then just flat across to John's Landing. Never tried it with knobbies. Frankly, I can't stand the noise...

But, like I said, I'm finding shortcuts down stairs, off curbs and, at 2.5 width, I really don't have to take mass trans tracks into consideration.

I'm having Revolver swap the moustache bars on my Raleigh back to drops. But even when I get it back, I'm unusure if I'll use the road bike again any time soon. And that's directly related to how much fun I have with these tires.

p8ntballbiker
03-09-2008, 11:01 AM
sweet , thats awesome feedback, I appreciate it. My commute is moderately hilly, nothing too bad and a straight shot down cornell into hillsboro, so it sounds like these will do me fine. thanks again!

vseven
03-10-2008, 05:37 PM
2500 miles on Schwalbe road tires without a puncture. They are heavy, but they are also tough. I got into trouble telling customers at the shop I work at ( "V, you sound like you are warranting the tires !") but when I was done with them, one of the shop guys put them on a fixie and skidded them to death, finally. I ride in awful road conditions, these tires still didn't puncture.

p8ntballbiker
03-10-2008, 08:43 PM
cool, I'll check them out as well, time to do some research!

Val
03-11-2008, 01:19 PM
As noted, the Hookworms are nigh invulnerable, heavy as hell, and tend to give an extremely harsh ride, even at lower pressures. My favorite road tire for any diameter of rim (provided the bike has clearance - yours does) is the Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35". Fat enough to soak up curbs (yes curbs), potholes and stairs, reasonably light, extremely supple, and faster than many 1.5" tires. Not the most flat resistant tire out there, but not bad in itself. If you have an extremely hazardous route, some sort of extra prevention (liners, sealant) can enhance their performance.

p8ntballbiker
03-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Nice, thanks alot! I've also heard recently about the serfas drifter as well being a decent tire for the money

Tait
03-11-2008, 09:31 PM
I have the Serfas Drifters on my bike and I really like them for road riding. I've never tried the others mentioned here, but the Serfas were a huge difference over the knobby tires I was using before... quieter, faster, and smoother.

I keep them at pretty high pressure (around 75psi) because I don't want them to drag, which becomes noticeable when the pressure falls down around 30psi or so. At those pressures, the tires won't do much to cushion your stair riding, but that's the fork's job, right? They corner well and do okay in the rain. Wouldn't be my first choice for mud or gravel (I don't know what your commute is like), but they are designed as road tires after all.

thegentlesurprise
03-13-2008, 10:31 AM
I have the Hookworms on my MTB, love them. I was riding some enormous knobbies for a long time and was amazed by the difference.
dI had fat boys on my last bike (specialized, I think) and I like these tires way better, they're incredibly sure-footed and so far indestructable. The fat boys are rated for something like 100psi, so they were faster, but these tires are a much smoother ride and feel more trustworthy through Portland's questionable road quality areas and give you the option of bashing around a little if you want.

Folks complain that they're hard to get on the bike, but I didn't have any problems, and haven't had a single flat since I put them on last summer. I run 'em about 60psi.