PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Bike?

Rixtir
04-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Sorry, new here, and didn't know if this is the right forum or not, but way too low a price on this Seattle craigslist bike:

Aluminum Trek roadbike $40 (http://seattle.craigslist.org/bik/153704017.html)

Rixtir
04-27-2006, 09:53 PM
On Craigslist tonight:

Will your bike be stolen tonight?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-155366777@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-04-27, 9:04PM PDT

So I was walking home last night, and I walked by your bicycle, which you had dutifully locked up with your U-Lock. Only problem was, your bicycle wasn't locked up. You locked your front wheel to a pipe. Your frame and rear wheel weren't locked to anything. Any meth-head bike-thieving scum could've figured that one out.

Well, I walked on by, because I'm not bike-thieving scum; in fact, I would've helped you lock it better if I knew how to find you, but all I could do was keep walking home. So now I'm wondering: Was your bike stolen last night? Will your bike be stolen tonight?

this is in or around Meth-town

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Rixtir
05-02-2006, 05:04 PM
On Craigslist again:

Re: Will Your Bicycle Be Stolen Tonight?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-156875359@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-05-02, 3:54PM PDT

So I guess your bike wasn't stolen...yet, because I passed it again last night. There it was, the front wheel locked to a pipe with a u-lock, the frame and rear wheel locked to nothing.

I don't get it. Is your front wheel really, really valuable? Is that why you've locked your front wheel with a u-lock, while neglecting to lock your bicycle?

Or do you not understand how bicycles work? Do you not realize that a thief could remove your unlocked bicycle from your locked front wheel in, oh, about 5 seconds? Which would leave you, in the morning, with a locked front wheel, a hangover, and no bicycle.

Let's go with that second possibility for a moment-- you don't understand how bicycles and locks work. You have to lock your bicycle to something solid that can't be removed or disassembled. That pipe you are leaning your bicycle against is actually a good choice, if you actually lock up to it. Which you haven't been doing. Once you have something solid that you can lock to, you need to actually lock your bike. Which you haven't been doing. Here's how you lock a bike with a u-lock: pass the u-lock around your rear wheel near the seat tube to the pipe. If you have room, you can pass the lock around your seat tube as well. Either way will lock your bike and rear wheel. If you really, really, really love your front wheel, you can remove it-- the same way a thief would-- and lock it at the rear wheel.

Or maybe you're just hoping that a thief will soon relieve you of the awful responsibility of bicycle ownership.

I dunno.

this is in or around Meth-town

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests