PDA

View Full Version : N Interstate & Albina Ave.

jr98664
02-23-2008, 08:21 PM
First of all, I'm from Fisher's Landing in Vancouver, so my memory of which intersection it was might be just a tad fuzzy. I'm almost positive it was N Interstate & Albina Ave., but it might have been Tillamook, I'd have to ride though there again to be sure, but I'm 95% sure it's Albina.

Anyway, all of this happened more or less just after sunset. I was riding home on Interstate Ave. when I began to slow down for a red light. As soon as I began decelerating, the light turned green and I kept on going. As soon as I got up to the intersection, a white Mercedes-Benz Sprinter (or something of that sort) darted out of the lane of travel in the process of making a right turn. Only one problem—I was in that bike line. Actually, come to think of it, there was another problem. This man had neglected to use his turn signal whilst failing to yield to a cyclist in the bike lane. To make matters worse, he was on a cell phone. Too bad this wasn't in Washington, or that would have been a third illegal move on his part.

Had I been just a foot or two behind, I would have easily hit the side of the van. Luckily, I was in just the right spot to get the driver's attention. Unfortunately, it was just that. I had to wave my arm like crazy to get his attention. And good thing I did, because I had a one-way ticket straight onto his hood.

As soon as I was clear, he took off, probably thinking nothing of it as he carried on with his phone conversation. Luckily, I believe I was able to get his license plate number. Unfortunately, I'm not 100% positive about this either. I do know for sure it was 7?7 C?D, and I'm pretty sure it was 727 COD, 737 CQD, or something of the sort.

Is there any way that I could file a citizen initiated citation against this guy for failing to use his turn signal and failing to yield to a cyclist in a bike lane? Does it matter that I'm a resident of Vancouver? Any comments would greatly appreciated.

K'Tesh
02-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Is there any way that I could file a citizen initiated citation against this guy for failing to use his turn signal and failing to yield to a cyclist in a bike lane? Does it matter that I'm a resident of Vancouver? Any comments would greatly appreciated.

Contact the BTA, and go to Ray Thomas' website (http://www.stc-law.com) and search his articles... he has instructions on how to do just that kind of thing.

Glad to hear that you are unhurt!
Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Duncan
02-24-2008, 10:43 AM
I heard on NPR that you can send a statement to the DMV and that they can require the driver to retake their driving test if there are enough complaints, and these comments are confidential unsless your a police officer.

I think getting dragged in to retake a test might get someones attention?

what about starting a close call database? if everyone enters the data of the car that nearly hits them and we get a repeat offender we can forward that to the DMV?

thegirlnextdork
02-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Ugh. Weak. I hate that stretch of Interstate - people often try to race ahead to "beat" me to a turn. At least that's not completely negligent.

I don't think being a resident of Vancouver would matter.

Duncan - do you suppose odds are good that a repeat offender would should up in this system - at least often enough to make it worth developing? My gut tells me that most likely, a commuting driver might make the list if he/she is cutting of bicyclists almost daily... although, crap, you'd hope they would learn by then!