PDA

View Full Version : SW Park and Market - near PSU

njwilken
01-07-2008, 11:29 AM
During rush hour this morning I was proceeding from the stop sign through an intersection in the Park blocks at PSU when I see a pickup truck in the next block reversing down the street (going backwards on a one way street), he swerves into a parking area so I figure he is trying to snag a parking spot. He then suddenly continues backing right into the intersection I am going through (the one with the trolley tracks on it), and I can see that he is going to whip around and try to proceed down that street. So, I slow down and swerve to the left, not sure if I should now just stop in the middle of the intersection to avoid him hitting me (and then possibly be hit by the oncoming cars...). He sees me, hesitates and I think, okay he's going to let me pass in front of him. Then he guns it just as I begin to proceed, I brake suddenly and since it was a little slick on the street, I went down before I could unclip, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSECTION!!!! He slows down as he pulls away, doesn't stop, and as soon as I get up he guns it and is gone.

One lone pedestrian came to help, but not a single car bothered to stop and check to see if I had been hurt or to help apprehend the idiot driver. She didn't get his license plate and neither did I.

Fortunately, I only have some bruises on me knee and a scraped elbow. This is why people don't commute in Portland it has become a nightmare of aggression and stupidity bordering on criminal.

K'Tesh
01-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I'd recommend keeping a watch on that location, chances are that your idiot driver may frequent that location, and you can initiate a traffic ticket for his behaviour.

Peace,
K'Tesh

Psyfalcon
01-07-2008, 07:39 PM
The park blocks are one of the absolute worst place to ride. Strange, but true. Narrow, one way streets with parking on both sides prompts some interesting driver reactions.

My favorite are the delivery trucks that double park and block the entire street for 15 minutes or so.

Cruizer
01-07-2008, 08:00 PM
If you're not in a big hurry and you're really patient and watchful of peds, it is legal to ride on the sidewalk through the Park Blocks -- it is excepted from the "no riding on the sidewalks" in downtown Portland law, just as the sidewalk through Tom McCall Waterfront Park is excepted. At least, this was true a year ago when I specifically asked one of the attorneys who specializes in bike law about it. Of course, you have to ride at a slow speed, not much faster than walking, but it keeps you away from the cars except at the cross streets.

Psyfalcon
01-18-2008, 08:43 AM
White Ford Ranger with a cap?

This one was a bit more innocuous. From the intersection (Market and Park) he only backed about 3-4 car lengths back (From the intersection) into a parking space, into the loading space in front of the apartments there.