PDA

View Full Version : Question re: "grade" of incline for local hills

KarenZ
04-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Does anyone know the "grade" of incline for Mt. Tabor or Rocky Butte, or any of the other local hills? (i.e. 7%, etc...)or...how to determine the grade...

I have been trying to compare the hills I have been riding with the hill grade percentages listed in the ride details for various event rides this summer. I haven't been able to locate the information anywhere.
Thanks!!!

Budro
04-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Does anyone know the "grade" of incline for Mt. Tabor or Rocky Butte, or any of the other local hills? (i.e. 7%, etc...)or...how to determine the grade...

I have been trying to compare the hills I have been riding with the hill grade percentages listed in the ride details for various event rides this summer. I haven't been able to locate the information anywhere.
Thanks!!!

I have a Specialized SpeedZone Pro bicycle computer from that shows the grade. Before using this computer I had no feel for grades. Now, I've got feel on what range the grade might be and don't need the computer so much anymore (going 8mph means it's pretty steep; 5mph means it's very steep). The computer was $100 at River City a couple of years ago. It's pretty nice in that it also includes cadence and total elevation gained.

I haven't biked Rocky Butte or Mt. Tabor in a while so don't know what their grades are. Thompson Rd from Cornell to Skyline is in the 5 - 6% range and ends at 7% at Skyline. Larch Mtn is mostly 4% and ends in the 5% a bit before the parking lot.

brock
04-12-2006, 12:36 PM
or...how to determine the grade...

Average % Grade = vertical distance / horizontal distance.

For example, a two mile climb (5280 feet per mile) that gains 400 feet in elevation would be:

400 / (2 * 5280) = about 3.8%

You'd obviously need a map or altimeter to determine elevation gain, in addition to a bike computer to clock the mileage.

BillD
04-12-2006, 03:44 PM
You can use this handy little free utility to plot a graph of the grade on your route, check mileage etc.
At least you will be able to after the site gets fixed..... From their news column:

"4/12/06 Elevation graphs are down for new routes. I'm working on upgrading the site to a dedicated server, which will solve the problem - hopefully won't take more than a few days. Elevation graphs for routes you've created in the past should still be fine. Sorry for the inconvenience, everyone. "

Other functions are still working.

GMAP-PEDOMETER (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/)

Bill

Jonathan Maus
04-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Does anyone know the "grade" of incline for Mt. Tabor or Rocky Butte, or any of the other local hills?

Several months ago I posted something (http://bikeportland.org/2005/08/24/elevation-profiles-of-climbs/) about a guy who has mapped out this information for many local climbs.