PDA

View Full Version : Beaverton: SW Watson and First

Psyfalcon
01-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Crossed Canyon and Farmington with little trouble and was making a left onto First from the left lane of Watson. On First, making a left is a Green minivan piloted by an apparently blind woman, perhaps 60 - 70 years old.

She comes to a complete stop, and lets a large SUV by in the right hand lane. I am now not 5 feet from her, and completely across front bumper when she starts to go. Despite being sure I'd be hit, she slammed to a stop after only moving a foot or two, glared and muttered to herself, in apparent disgust with the crazy person on the bike.

My lane positioning could have been a bit wider, and perhaps given her a better sightline, and I'm not lit up like K'tesh, but damn! I could see every wrinkle in her face through the front windshield, I hope she could see the bike 5 feet away!

Haven_kd7yct
01-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Maybe she was muttering in disgust at her own actions. I've done that in the past when I perform a stupid action, and it looks like I'm mad at the other person.

But I'm not, I'm mad at myself.

Maybe she was mad at herself. You never know.

PDXGS
01-02-2008, 01:58 PM
In motorcycle lore green minivans= death. Just thought I'd pass this along as a sort of PSA.
Cheers,
Jorge

K'Tesh
01-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Sorry to hear that you started out the new year with a nasty scare like that... Hope the driver conciders having her vision checked...

Did you get a plate number? If you did, you can use the BTA to contact the driver, and let her know how badly she scared you. Perhaps reminding her of the 12,500 reasons that harming a vulnerable road user now is bad on the wallet as an opener.

Glad I'm not reading about this in tomorrow's Oregonian...

Be careful out there!
K'Tesh

I'm not lit up like K'tesh

Cute! :D

BTW... What are you doing in my neighborhood? (hopefully planning on attending the BAC (http://www.bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?p=8391#post8391) meeting tomorrow.)

Psyfalcon
01-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Going to the post office! I live in one of the many, many, apartments in the area.

Hopefully it would not have been a newspaper worthy event, it would have been a fairly low speed collision at least.