PDA

View Full Version : Daily Commute Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

beelnite
06-20-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm set up in my new place off Holgate (near SE 122nd) and took the innaugural commute ride on the new route! Bike lane to nowhere? Ha! If you build it...

They will ride.

I'm going to enjoy that last little stretch from SE 92nd. Ok the lane does kinda appear out of nowhere you cross 205 and it's there- but it's nice. People seem happy. I'm not sure what businesses were complaining... the Plaid Pantry? Heat?

They have parking lots. And naked people.:D

Praxillea
06-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Welcome to the neighborhood. I live on that end of Holgate myself and bike everyday to the 205 path, then south to Springwater and on to Sellwood.

beelnite
07-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Rode N. Williams yesterday evening - just to see what's up. I noticed a lot of dudes who think they are the fastest thing on two wheels. Some of the kids like to "jump the light" and create chaos for the rest of the riders. Rather impolite. And dangerous at times.

Also noticed that none of the rude riders I encountered were as fast or as strong as they thought. Gravity is the great equalizer.

Why risk embarassment and annoying other riders by acting like a car and doing everything possible short of killing oneself just to "get ahead" and slow everyone down?

biciclero
07-28-2011, 11:27 AM
I know this is a recurring burr in our collective saddle, but what is with construction signs? Why is it that when completely blocking a bike lane (on a 45mph arterial in my experience this morning) there is no warning, diversion, or mitigation of any kind? Just a sign suddenly in the way, with no way around except "merging" into 40-50mph auto traffic?

This morning I stopped to drag a construction sign partially onto the sidewalk, then stopped down the road a bit to chat with the guy who was still setting things up to do what looked like some utility work. I asked whether it would be possible not to block the entire bike lane with signage, and his answer was that "sometimes I have to." I replied that it would be nice if there could be some cones or other warning upstream from the sign and suggested that such blockages be treated just like they would if the blocked lane were a "car" lane. The guy I spoke with seemed a little defensive, so I tried to empathize a little ("I know you gotta do what you gotta do", etc.) but tried to make the point that bike lanes need to be considered as much a travel lane as any other. He said "How about if I bring it up with the boss?" I said, "Perfect", the light turned green and I moved on. I hope I didn't sound too angry, although it's hard to speak too forcefully when one is out of breath...

I wish I knew to whom to send email/letters about these things, but I didn't even think to look to see (or ask) whether this crew was from PGE, WashCo. (it was in Beaverton), the city, or what. Just wish there were some State guidelines on what to do when blocking a lane for construction purposes. My suspicion is that there actually are such guidelines (I haven't looked yet), but mere bike lanes are not deemed worthy of standard, first-class treatment.

beelnite
07-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Toyota Testosterone. Dude in truck "jumped" on the right shoulder at the stop light on Holgate at 82nd. Guns it and gets...

One car ahead.

Wow. Some people are just comfortable being complete jerks for minimal return.

beelnite
08-12-2011, 01:22 PM
So it happened to me… or so I thought. I met my match in skill, speed and overall bike awesomeness… For two days I tried to catch him…

30-Something on a mountain bike – and I mean Mountain bike. Big azz tires, heavy frame, shocks, pegs… a beast of a bike. A real Hummer. Saddle bags.

I saw him up there and thought to myself, “Target sighted. Commencing Draft, Pass and Drop sequence.”

So I kicked it up, confident I would simply leave another casual commuter in the dust.

BUT NO! No matter how hard I tried, no matter how much I sweated and strained I couldn’t gain… and he wasn’t even breaking a sweat! Just casually pedaling like he was out for a boardwalk stroll. I didn’t catch him. Fuming I rode the rest of the way home, broken, depressed, questioning my quest to become the world’s greatest Master Division cyclist.

Then I saw him again… the next day. Same route. Not this time buddy! You are mine! The chase was on… and AGAIN… I couldn’t catch him. Was something wrong with my Odometer? Are my legs nothing but too thin toothpicks? What is up with this guy!?!?!

Finally – the third day. Again. Only this time he was stopped ahead at a light. Finally, my chance to take him on from a dead stop… maybe this time, redemption.

So I rode up slowly, waiting, timing, balancing…

And then I noticed the tiny, non-descript ELECTRIC MOTOR hub on his rear tire.

So not fair. 

K'Tesh
08-12-2011, 01:39 PM
So it happened to me… or so I thought. I met my match in skill, speed and overall bike awesomeness… For two days I tried to catch him…

30-Something on a mountain bike – and I mean Mountain bike. Big azz tires, heavy frame, shocks, pegs… a beast of a bike. A real Hummer. Saddle bags.

I saw him up there and thought to myself, “Target sighted. Commencing Draft, Pass and Drop sequence.”

So I kicked it up, confident I would simply leave another casual commuter in the dust.

BUT NO! No matter how hard I tried, no matter how much I sweated and strained I couldn’t gain… and he wasn’t even breaking a sweat! Just casually pedaling like he was out for a boardwalk stroll. I didn’t catch him. Fuming I rode the rest of the way home, broken, depressed, questioning my quest to become the world’s greatest Master Division cyclist.

Then I saw him again… the next day. Same route. Not this time buddy! You are mine! The chase was on… and AGAIN… I couldn’t catch him. Was something wrong with my Odometer? Are my legs nothing but too thin toothpicks? What is up with this guy!?!?!

Finally – the third day. Again. Only this time he was stopped ahead at a light. Finally, my chance to take him on from a dead stop… maybe this time, redemption.

So I rode up slowly, waiting, timing, balancing…

And then I noticed the tiny, non-descript ELECTRIC MOTOR hub on his rear tire.

So not fair. 

Well, aren't you glad it wasn't because of anything you could or couldn't do?

dmc
08-12-2011, 02:41 PM
This would be a phenomenal story if you were to drop the last two sentences and leave the reader hanging. :)

I feel that living car free would be made a lot easier with the use of an electric bike. Shopping, hauling, those lazy days where you just want to get to work without effort. I can see myself owning one in five years. Hope that doesn't tarnish my elite cool rep. on these forums by saying that. :)

<3

beelnite
08-15-2011, 03:55 PM
I did "draft" his electrified wake... but was soon dropped and left to struggle on my own power up SE Gladstone.

I have now rededicated myself to never judging a cyclists speed based on tire size! :D

biciclero
09-15-2011, 12:38 PM
On my way home last night (9/14) there seemed to be both an extraordinarily high number of patrol vehicles (cars & motorcycles) with lights flashing, AND and out-of-the-ordinary number of people attempting to cross Hall Blvd. near Broadway around 6:30-7:00. Does anyone know whether there was a crosswalk enforcement action taking place?

I was far out of the bike lane as I passed through the "enforcement zone" (2 lanes over to the left), and at one point in my rear-view I saw the guy who had been driving behind me get pulled over after passing through an intersection at which I saw someone starting to cross just as I arrived at the intersection. It really made me uneasy as I saw at least two people appear to step off the curb just at that point where I had to decide to either skid to a stop to allow them to cross, or possibly be perceived as failing to yield if I kept going. I opted to keep going, as I did not want to get rear-ended by the driver behind me who would likely have no clue why I was stopping. Maybe because I made eye contact with the "pedestrian" each time I saw one, they at least know I was paying attention...

K'Tesh
09-16-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm actually cold today... Fall is here!

K'Tesh
09-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Was riding down from the zoo into Beaverton when it happened. I was on a fast decent on SW Park Way, when I saw a squirrel bound out from my side of the road, not far ahead of me. It must have seen the oncoming car, and decided that the bike was the safer choice, so it ran back and tried to dodge between my wheels. Fortunately for it, I weaved to my right to give it more space, but my left foot was down, and it bounced off the top of my shoe. I looked back immediately, and saw it hop up onto the curb.

Not long after that, a pickup that was following me passed, and I heard the laugh of the guy as he said "I've never seen a squirrel try to take on a bike before".

In other squirrel related news... Have you ever seen one use a drinking fountain?

Today I did...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6152/6177318508_eeb912e983.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike/6177318508/)

PDXOutdoors
09-27-2011, 03:29 PM
I was riding Northbound on the East Waterfront path, just north of the Hawthorne bridge, and was almost run off the path (into that 2 foot curb) by a Southbound runner who was running South on the left side, and refused to move to the right.

I'm consistently amazed that there aren't MORE collisions on these paths. I find it dangerous that there aren't center lines painted on all multi-use paths. Most users seem fairly courteous and stay to the right, look around them when changing direction, and signal when possible, but there is a large minority of what I like to call "bear snacks" in public thoroughfares of all kinds, and I think that clear marking of lanes of travel would do a LOT to remind all of us that at most we're entitled to only half the path for our travel.

Are there any other threads here that discuss this issue? I'm thinking of starting a campaign to get some paint down, at least in the high-density areas like the Waterfront, and certain stretches of Springwater.

beelnite
09-28-2011, 12:45 PM
Not sure how people get stuck running or walking on the "wrong" side of the bridge path on Hawthorne. There's signs. How about a bike rider coming opposite... seen it on occaison.

I do something about it on the spot. Cuz this stuff is dangerous - though it is debatable perhaps whom is actually making it dangerous - pedestrians exerting their right to walk wherever they damn well please or cyclists exerting their right to ride as fast as they possibly can. Whose to say?

I will signal a stop to riders behind me and begin slowing and I will motion the folks to my right:

"Hey guys! Way dangerous on this side - you need to get right! Bikes coming and FAST!!!"

Only one person has ever flipped me off and told me to stuff it... and he was a pretty rough looking cat - likely homeless. Ironically while he was telling me to Eff off some kid whipped around me to pass on my right and nearly collided with the gent... who despite his animosity to me butting in... still moved right.

So I waited for the kid... "Man, ALWAYS, ALWAYS pass left. You found out one reason why today."

Haven_kd7yct
09-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Ironic moment on my ride in this morning:

I decided to shake things up and ride all the way down Durham Rd this morning instead of Hall. Traffic started backing up about 0.2 before Tigard High School, with the motorists having to come to a complete stop for long periods of time.

Of course, the bike lane was completely empty except for me.

As I went by the line of stopped cars, carefully keeping an eye for turn signals or other turning behaviors, I noted a bumper sticker on the back of an older truck-- "One Less Bicycle".

I had to shake my head-- there he was, sitting, waiting, as I went by with a clear lane and no stopping (except for pedestrians in the mid-block crossing and red lights).

I kept an eye out for him all the way down Durham Rd, through the elementary school zone, over the railroad tracks... and never saw him again as I went straight thru the light at Upper Boones to continue on Durham Rd. I wonder how long it took him to get through the two school zones and then the WES train that went through.

K'Tesh
10-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Today I was on the Max that got sent back to the barn. Got on at the BTC, and mechanical problems forced everybody off at Sunset. Decided that waiting for the next train full of people and bicycles was just going to be too much of an inconvenience. Rode up to Hwy 26, up and over into PDX.

Tonight the train was delayed by the rally, so decided to do the reverse trip. I didn't know that SW Canyon doesn't go through a tunnel (outbound) until today.

I was following another cyclist (who opted to go through the zoo), stopped to prune those *%$##&!!! black locust weeds that were hanging out into the bike lane approaching the bike route to the zoo, and still managed to catch up to the guy before we got to the Sunset MUP at Sylvan.

Lots of hot, noisy, damp miles today, but I made it.

No photos, my camera's on the fritz again... could be the batteries, but really, both at the same time?

dmc
10-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Hopefully everyone made it out of the cold snap ok.

My girlfriend and I have been biking 4 miles and up a big hill at 4:30 am to get her to her bus stop. We carefully walk our bikes up the steep hill as to not break a sweat. From then on its pleasant. She wears two layers of gloves and multiple body layers. I finally broke down and had to buy some gloves and a scarf. Freddies has men's winter accessories 30 percent off. :)

She doesn't yet feel confident in her strength to lift her bike up onto the bus's bike rack. (5', 110lb). I'm gonna have to hold the bus driver up (early bus, no one is on board) for a second so we can go over it together.

We have seen a lot of things. A lot of raccoons! The steaming mist coming up from the man covers looks so cool and reminds me the many northeastern movie sets with the steam boiling out of the man hole in the cold winter days.

Hope everyone is doing ok during these colder mornings. You are not alone!

Thanks for reading

Oldguyonabike
11-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Congrats to fellow die-hard commuters this morning!
I actually started laughing at the ludicrous nature of it all at one point fighting my way south on the 205 bike path to Clackamas.
Dark. >20mph wind in my face. POURING rain. Leaves covering storm drains creating lakes deeper than my crank = submerging leg to mid-calf.
Oregon. You gotta love it!!
At least I have the projected 30 mph wind at my back going home. Won't even have to peddle!

biciclero
11-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Sorry, I just have to rant a little today due to the fact that I had three separate drivers who felt the need to drive fully into the oncoming lane to pass me this morning. Not that that's bad, except that two of them passed me in a residential zone with a 25mph speed limit...while I was going 29mph and riding pretty close to the center line (if there had been a center line), and the third had to pull up on my left (fully into the oncoming 'lane') at a stop sign in a busy parking lot...while I was clearly signaling to turn left! I had been signaling long before she pulled around me to cut the left turn in front of me; she had ample time to figure out what I was doing. Of course she did save herself roughly zero seconds as I followed her for all of the remaining 1/2 mile to her destination--and had to slow down to wait for her to make...wait for it...a left turn into her parking lot. Oh, and the other two drivers who passed me ended up stopped at a light where I caught up to them after about 5 seconds. So they saved roughly zero time as well.

I can only attribute this to a combination of impatience and, to some degree, mode bias. It must be the case that many drivers believe that a) a bicycle is not a legitimate vehicle and need not be respected as such (none of the drivers I encountered this morning would have dared pass another car--or even a motorcycle--under identical circumstances) and b) a rider on a bicycle is patently incapable of maintaining a reasonable speed under any circumstances.

"I can't stand it!" --Charlie Brown

dmc
12-15-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm gonna start a new bike commute. I know which route I want to take. I'm traveling from Hudson's Bay High School in Vancouver, WA to Farragut Park, OR. I'm using the neon green line as a travel path there and the neon pink line as a travel path home.
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8889/roundtriproute.png

Trimet's RTP suggests this:
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/8161/weirdroute.png

The RTP route puts me right next to huge tractor trailers. Its not fun and I don't feel there is enough room. Unless I ride my bike on the sidewalk....

I see less mileage on my route and the route RTP suggested is scary as heck.

My route does require traversing lots of gravel and junk in the bike lane. I have Mr. Tuffys underneath my tires, I hope that will last for awhile.

Any opinions are welcome

K'Tesh
01-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Well, I've been thinking that Schrauf's idea for the Daily Commute Thread should be restarted each year, so I'm going to start the new one starting now...

You can find the 2012 Daily Commute Thread here... (http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/789707-The-2012-Commuting-Mileage-Thread)

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

q`Tzal
01-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Are you going to retroactively partition this thread annually?

K'Tesh
01-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Are you going to retroactively partition this thread annually?

No, I don't think that I will, but I'll start a fresh one each year.